Wireless connection on roaming laptop - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Wireless connection on roaming laptop - Connectivity ; I'm trying to link my wife's laptop (which has a built-in wireless card and is configured for her school's network on 10.112.1.1) to the internet at home through our wireless DSL gateway on 192.168.2.1. The laptop isn't locked down for ...

  1. Wireless connection on roaming laptop

    I'm trying to link my wife's laptop (which has a built-in wireless card and
    is configured for her school's network on 10.112.1.1) to the internet at
    home through our wireless DSL gateway on 192.168.2.1.

    The laptop isn't locked down for admin rights and I'm able to access all the
    configuration settings but can't work our how to get the card to link to
    more than one network, when it roams from school to home, without
    re-configuring each time.

    Laptop is on XP Pro.

    Anyone able to point me in the right direction?

    Thanks in anticipation.

    Barry

  2. Re: Wireless connection on roaming laptop

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:27:34 +0100, "Barry"
    wrote:

    >I'm trying to link my wife's laptop (which has a built-in wireless card and
    >is configured for her school's network on 10.112.1.1) to the internet at
    >home through our wireless DSL gateway on 192.168.2.1.
    >
    >The laptop isn't locked down for admin rights and I'm able to access all the
    >configuration settings but can't work our how to get the card to link to
    >more than one network, when it roams from school to home, without
    >re-configuring each time.
    >
    >Laptop is on XP Pro.
    >
    >Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    >
    >Thanks in anticipation.
    >
    >Barry

    The easiest way is to get rid of the static IP address and let DHCP
    provide it one at each location. I think just about every network
    these days should be able to do that.

    Pearce Consulting
    http://www.pearce.uk.com

  3. Re: Wireless connection on roaming laptop

    "Don Pearce" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:27:34 +0100, "Barry"
    > wrote:
    >
    > >I'm trying to link my wife's laptop (which has a built-in wireless card

    and
    > >is configured for her school's network on 10.112.1.1) to the internet at
    > >home through our wireless DSL gateway on 192.168.2.1.
    > >
    > >The laptop isn't locked down for admin rights and I'm able to access all

    the
    > >configuration settings but can't work our how to get the card to link to
    > >more than one network, when it roams from school to home, without
    > >re-configuring each time.
    > >
    > >Laptop is on XP Pro.
    > >
    > >Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    > >
    > >Thanks in anticipation.
    > >
    > >Barry
    > >

    > The easiest way is to get rid of the static IP address and let DHCP
    > provide it one at each location. I think just about every network
    > these days should be able to do that.

    The school may be using static addresses. But if they are not, yes by just
    allowing DHCP to do it's thing should hook this guy and his wife right up.

    > Pearce Consulting
    > http://www.pearce.uk.com

  4. Re: Wireless connection on roaming laptop

    "Don Pearce" wrote in message
    > On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:27:34 +0100, "Barry"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>I'm trying to link my wife's laptop (which has a built-in wireless card
    >>and
    >>is configured for her school's network on 10.112.1.1) to the internet at
    >>home through our wireless DSL gateway on 192.168.2.1.
    >>
    >>The laptop isn't locked down for admin rights and I'm able to access all
    >>the
    >>configuration settings but can't work our how to get the card to link to
    >>more than one network, when it roams from school to home, without
    >>re-configuring each time.
    >>
    >>Laptop is on XP Pro.
    >>
    >>Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    >>
    >>Thanks in anticipation.
    >>
    >>Barry
    >>

    > The easiest way is to get rid of the static IP address and let DHCP
    > provide it one at each location. I think just about every network
    > these days should be able to do that.

    > Pearce Consulting
    > http://www.pearce.uk.com

    Can't do that, I'd have to reconfigure the entire school network and I don't
    have access rights to their desktop machines.

    It occured to me that the simple solution is to configure the home gateway
    IP address to the range 10.112.1.XX as the school is miles away and we can't
    clash on wireless connection because of the distance. Do you see any
    problems?

    Barry

  5. Re: Wireless connection on roaming laptop

    On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 22:27:57 +0100, "Barry"
    wrote:

    >"Don Pearce" wrote in message
    >> On Fri, 31 Mar 2006 17:27:34 +0100, "Barry"
    >> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm trying to link my wife's laptop (which has a built-in wireless card
    >>>and
    >>>is configured for her school's network on 10.112.1.1) to the internet at
    >>>home through our wireless DSL gateway on 192.168.2.1.
    >>>
    >>>The laptop isn't locked down for admin rights and I'm able to access all
    >>>the
    >>>configuration settings but can't work our how to get the card to link to
    >>>more than one network, when it roams from school to home, without
    >>>re-configuring each time.
    >>>
    >>>Laptop is on XP Pro.
    >>>
    >>>Anyone able to point me in the right direction?
    >>>
    >>>Thanks in anticipation.
    >>>
    >>>Barry
    >>>

    >> The easiest way is to get rid of the static IP address and let DHCP
    >> provide it one at each location. I think just about every network
    >> these days should be able to do that.

    >> Pearce Consulting
    >> http://www.pearce.uk.com

    >Can't do that, I'd have to reconfigure the entire school network and I don't
    >have access rights to their desktop machines.
    >
    >It occured to me that the simple solution is to configure the home gateway
    >IP address to the range 10.112.1.XX as the school is miles away and we can't
    >clash on wireless connection because of the distance. Do you see any
    >problems?
    >
    >Barry

    No, that should be fine

    Pearce Consulting