VPN - can't acces shares - Connectivity

This is a discussion on VPN - can't acces shares - Connectivity ; I have a file server at home (everything is running XP), with shares set up on it. When logged in at home, everything connects nicely. I have now set up a VPN, using the connection software built into XP. It ...

  1. VPN - can't acces shares

    I have a file server at home (everything is running XP), with shares
    set up on it. When logged in at home, everything connects nicely.

    I have now set up a VPN, using the connection software built into XP.
    It all connects properly, goes through the password negotiation, and
    shows me the shares in "My network places".

    The problem is that this is as far as I get. If I try to open one of
    these shares, I get an error message telling me I don't have
    permission, despite having logged in with the correct name and
    password.

    Anybody know what I have missed?

    Pearce Consulting
    http://www.pearce.uk.com

  2. Re: VPN - can't acces shares

    To: donald
    > From Newsgroup: alt.comp.networking.connectivity
    >
    > I have a file server at home (everything is running XP), with shares
    > set up on it. When logged in at home, everything connects nicely.
    >
    > I have now set up a VPN, using the connection software built into XP.
    > It all connects properly, goes through the password negotiation, and
    > shows me the shares in "My network places".
    >
    > The problem is that this is as far as I get. If I try to open one of
    > these shares, I get an error message telling me I don't have
    > permission, despite having logged in with the correct name and
    > password.
    >
    > Anybody know what I have missed?

    > Pearce Consulting
    > http://www.pearce.uk.com
    > --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83

    I have seen this with the Cisco VPN client - same problem. The client has a
    setting in which you can allow local LAN access, but that does not work. SO, I
    have to have a share open when I start my VPN, to access any shares.
    --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    * Tek1 Online - Elyria, Ohio (Cleveland area) - telnet://tek1systems.com

  3. Re: VPN - can't acces shares

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:06:16 -0500, "SAJ"
    wrote:

    > To: donald
    > > From Newsgroup: alt.comp.networking.connectivity
    > >
    > > I have a file server at home (everything is running XP), with shares
    > > set up on it. When logged in at home, everything connects nicely.
    > >
    > > I have now set up a VPN, using the connection software built into XP.
    > > It all connects properly, goes through the password negotiation, and
    > > shows me the shares in "My network places".
    > >
    > > The problem is that this is as far as I get. If I try to open one of
    > > these shares, I get an error message telling me I don't have
    > > permission, despite having logged in with the correct name and
    > > password.
    > >
    > > Anybody know what I have missed?

    > > Pearce Consulting
    > > http://www.pearce.uk.com
    > > --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83

    >I have seen this with the Cisco VPN client - same problem. The client has a
    >setting in which you can allow local LAN access, but that does not work. SO, I
    >have to have a share open when I start my VPN, to access any shares.
    >--- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    > * Tek1 Online - Elyria, Ohio (Cleveland area) - telnet://tek1systems.com

    Thanks, I'll try that.

    Pearce Consulting
    http://www.pearce.uk.com

  4. Re: VPN - can't acces shares

    On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 20:04:27 GMT, donald@pearce.uk.com (Don Pearce)
    wrote:

    >On Tue, 28 Mar 2006 10:06:16 -0500, "SAJ"
    > wrote:
    >
    >> To: donald
    >> > From Newsgroup: alt.comp.networking.connectivity
    >> >
    >> > I have a file server at home (everything is running XP), with shares
    >> > set up on it. When logged in at home, everything connects nicely.
    >> >
    >> > I have now set up a VPN, using the connection software built into XP.
    >> > It all connects properly, goes through the password negotiation, and
    >> > shows me the shares in "My network places".
    >> >
    >> > The problem is that this is as far as I get. If I try to open one of
    >> > these shares, I get an error message telling me I don't have
    >> > permission, despite having logged in with the correct name and
    >> > password.
    >> >
    >> > Anybody know what I have missed?

    >> > Pearce Consulting
    >> > http://www.pearce.uk.com
    >> > --- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83

    >>I have seen this with the Cisco VPN client - same problem. The client has a
    >>setting in which you can allow local LAN access, but that does not work. SO, I
    >>have to have a share open when I start my VPN, to access any shares.
    >>--- Synchronet 3.13a-Win32 NewsLink 1.83
    >> * Tek1 Online - Elyria, Ohio (Cleveland area) - telnet://tek1systems.com

    >Thanks, I'll try that.

    >Pearce Consulting
    >http://www.pearce.uk.com

    No - no luck there, any more ideas?