Outdoor cabling - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Outdoor cabling - Connectivity ; I'm setting up a wired network between buildings. I cannot use wireless due to extensive tree cover. Maximum distance between segments is 300'. My plan is to use CAT5E cable, mounted on poles, between the buildings. Do I need special ...

  1. Outdoor cabling

    I'm setting up a wired network between buildings. I cannot use
    wireless due to extensive tree cover. Maximum distance between segments
    is 300'.

    My plan is to use CAT5E cable, mounted on poles, between the buildings.

    Do I need special cabling for out-of-doors, subject to weather extremes,
    use?

    Thanks.

  2. Re: Outdoor cabling

    Cat5e will be fine, just make sure you waterproof any joins you may have
    along the length (would however recommend having one single piece though)

    also bury it inside a PVC pipe if financially feasible. A lot less prone
    to get damaged. Dont forget to include a double length piece of string
    for pulling through more data cables later

    frank wrote:
    > I'm setting up a wired network between buildings. I cannot use
    > wireless due to extensive tree cover. Maximum distance between segments
    > is 300'.
    >
    > My plan is to use CAT5E cable, mounted on poles, between the buildings.
    >
    > Do I need special cabling for out-of-doors, subject to weather extremes,
    > use?
    >
    > Thanks.

  3. Re: Outdoor cabling

    On Thu, 23 Mar 2006 16:49:49 -0800, frank wrote:

    > I'm setting up a wired network between buildings. I cannot use
    > wireless due to extensive tree cover. Maximum distance between segments
    > is 300'.
    >
    > My plan is to use CAT5E cable, mounted on poles, between the buildings.
    >
    > Do I need special cabling for out-of-doors, subject to weather extremes,
    > use?
    >
    > Thanks.

    You are approaching the theoretical max distance of 100 meters for cat5 so
    you may experience some poor performance.

  4. Re: Outdoor cabling

    "frank" wrote in message
    > I'm setting up a wired network between buildings. I cannot use wireless
    > due to extensive tree cover. Maximum distance between segments is 300'.
    >
    > My plan is to use CAT5E cable, mounted on poles, between the buildings.
    >
    > Do I need special cabling for out-of-doors, subject to weather extremes,
    > use?
    >
    > Thanks.

    CAT5 will work, but you're at the limit for segment length. You will need
    at least one repeater or you will have problems. Also, like the other guy
    said, run the cable through pipe and bury it. If you absolutely have to
    hang it from poles, use something that will stand up to weather. Not sure
    what, but I'd guess at least plenum grade.

+ Reply to Thread