How to map drives to dynamic ip addresses - Connectivity

This is a discussion on How to map drives to dynamic ip addresses - Connectivity ; Hi, I am in a university department, and we want to map some network drives across the local departmental network. I have done this by identifying the computers whose drives are to be mapped via ip addresses. The problem is ...

  1. How to map drives to dynamic ip addresses

    Hi,

    I am in a university department, and we want to map some network drives
    across the local departmental network. I have done this by identifying
    the computers whose drives are to be mapped via ip addresses.

    The problem is that the department has run out of fixed ip addresses, so
    the computers need to remain dynamic. This means that the networked
    drives work fine as long as they aren't turned off for more than 24
    hours. However, if they are, then they will likely be given new ip
    addresses and this will break the network drives.

    Is there a way to network drives using dynamic ip addresses, or some way
    to update the ip addresses automatically if they do get changed? Is
    there another way to map the network drives that will avoid this problem?

  2. Re: How to map drives to dynamic ip addresses

    On Sun, 19 Mar 2006 22:56:40 -0800, Mark wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I am in a university department, and we want to map some network drives
    >across the local departmental network. I have done this by identifying
    >the computers whose drives are to be mapped via ip addresses.
    >
    >The problem is that the department has run out of fixed ip addresses, so
    >the computers need to remain dynamic. This means that the networked
    >drives work fine as long as they aren't turned off for more than 24
    >hours. However, if they are, then they will likely be given new ip
    >addresses and this will break the network drives.
    >
    >Is there a way to network drives using dynamic ip addresses, or some way
    >to update the ip addresses automatically if they do get changed? Is
    >there another way to map the network drives that will avoid this problem?

    Use the UNC name not the i/p for mapping. for example:
    net use U: \\server01\storage

  3. Re: How to map drives to dynamic ip addresses

    Yes, you map to the computer name instead of the ip address, i.e.
    net use g: \\desktop-01\myshare.

    ...kurt

    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am in a university department, and we want to map some network drives
    > across the local departmental network. I have done this by identifying the
    > computers whose drives are to be mapped via ip addresses.
    >
    > The problem is that the department has run out of fixed ip addresses, so
    > the computers need to remain dynamic. This means that the networked drives
    > work fine as long as they aren't turned off for more than 24 hours.
    > However, if they are, then they will likely be given new ip addresses and
    > this will break the network drives.
    >
    > Is there a way to network drives using dynamic ip addresses, or some way
    > to update the ip addresses automatically if they do get changed? Is there
    > another way to map the network drives that will avoid this problem?

  4. Re: How to map drives to dynamic ip addresses

    Does the computer you are trying to map a drive from the server see the
    server computer name too?
    "Mark" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I am in a university department, and we want to map some network drives
    > across the local departmental network. I have done this by identifying
    > the computers whose drives are to be mapped via ip addresses.
    >
    > The problem is that the department has run out of fixed ip addresses, so
    > the computers need to remain dynamic. This means that the networked
    > drives work fine as long as they aren't turned off for more than 24
    > hours. However, if they are, then they will likely be given new ip
    > addresses and this will break the network drives.
    >
    > Is there a way to network drives using dynamic ip addresses, or some way
    > to update the ip addresses automatically if they do get changed? Is
    > there another way to map the network drives that will avoid this problem?

+ Reply to Thread