Has the OSI model had any meaning or effects on communications? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Has the OSI model had any meaning or effects on communications? - Connectivity ; Hello My name is Fredrik and I'm from Sweden. I would greatly appreciate if someone has something to say about the OSI reference model which was developed by ISO between the years 1977-1984. 1. I read that most manufactorors of ...

  1. Has the OSI model had any meaning or effects on communications?

    Hello

    My name is Fredrik and I'm from Sweden.
    I would greatly appreciate if someone has something to say about the
    OSI reference model which was developed by ISO between the years
    1977-1984.

    1.
    I read that most manufactorors of networking products doday develop
    their products in accordance to the OSI model. But what does this mean?
    Would these products work in a different way if they were not developed
    in accordance to the OSI model?
    2.
    >From what I've read about the OSI model it seems like a good model

    which describes all the functions that take place with computer
    communications. But this is mostly for educational purposes. But has
    the OSI model had a real influense on how computers function or on
    communications in generall?
    3.
    Between the years 1977-1984 ISO developed the OSI model, unfortunately
    I have no knoweledge of computers or communications at this time,
    therefore I find it hard to see what pupose OSI fills today. Because as
    far as I know there was no PC or DOS at this time? If anyone has a
    little info on computers or communication at this time I woul really
    appreciate it.

    Thanks in advance... Fredrik

  2. Re: Has the OSI model had any meaning or effects on communications?

    "Fredrik" wrote in message
    news:1141514215.836680.119910@p10g2000cwp.googlegr oups.com...
    > Hello
    >
    > My name is Fredrik and I'm from Sweden.
    > I would greatly appreciate if someone has something to say about the
    > OSI reference model which was developed by ISO between the years
    > 1977-1984.
    >
    > 1.
    > I read that most manufactorors of networking products doday develop
    > their products in accordance to the OSI model. But what does this mean?
    > Would these products work in a different way if they were not developed
    > in accordance to the OSI model?
    > 2.
    >>From what I've read about the OSI model it seems like a good model

    > which describes all the functions that take place with computer
    > communications. But this is mostly for educational purposes. But has
    > the OSI model had a real influense on how computers function or on
    > communications in generall?
    > 3.
    > Between the years 1977-1984 ISO developed the OSI model, unfortunately
    > I have no knoweledge of computers or communications at this time,
    > therefore I find it hard to see what pupose OSI fills today. Because as
    > far as I know there was no PC or DOS at this time? If anyone has a
    > little info on computers or communication at this time I woul really
    > appreciate it.
    >

    > Thanks in advance... Fredrik

    Sounds like you're asking for the answer to a homework question. Read the
    lesson.

+ Reply to Thread