crossover to router - Connectivity

This is a discussion on crossover to router - Connectivity ; Help....I currently run a computer through another computer using a crossover cable...It was a short term solution to my problem....Now I'm thinking long term and want to get a router....do I have to replace the 30 feet of cable I ...

  1. crossover to router

    Help....I currently run a computer through another computer using a
    crossover cable...It was a short term solution to my problem....Now I'm
    thinking long term and want to get a router....do I have to replace the 30
    feet of cable I have already run??? Is there adapters?? or can a router just
    be set up to understand?? Both computers are XP, router not yet
    purchased...and DSL if that is important........

    Thanks

  2. Re: crossover to router

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Help....I currently run a computer through another computer using a
    > crossover cable...It was a short term solution to my problem....Now I'm
    > thinking long term and want to get a router....do I have to replace the 30
    > feet of cable I have already run??? Is there adapters?? or can a router
    > just be set up to understand?? Both computers are XP, router not yet
    > purchased...and DSL if that is important........
    >
    > Thanks

    Some routers will accept a regular or crossover cable and adjust as needed.
    Some NICs will do the same.

  3. Re: crossover to router

    Is it trial and error or is there a brand I should be looking for??? Or
    something on the box to let me know??? I hate trusting the guy at the desk,
    The guy at
    radio shack ( it was handy) said no, but I don't even think he heard the
    question...

    "Mark A" wrote in message
    > "Greg" wrote in message
    >> Help....I currently run a computer through another computer using a
    >> crossover cable...It was a short term solution to my problem....Now I'm
    >> thinking long term and want to get a router....do I have to replace the
    >> 30 feet of cable I have already run??? Is there adapters?? or can a
    >> router just be set up to understand?? Both computers are XP, router not
    >> yet purchased...and DSL if that is important........
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>

    > Some routers will accept a regular or crossover cable and adjust as
    > needed. Some NICs will do the same.

  4. Re: crossover to router

    "Greg" wrote in message
    > Help....I currently run a computer through another computer using a
    > crossover cable...It was a short term solution to my problem....Now I'm
    > thinking long term and want to get a router....do I have to replace the 30
    > feet of cable I have already run??? Is there adapters?? or can a router
    > just be set up to understand?? Both computers are XP, router not yet
    > purchased...and DSL if that is important........
    >
    > Thanks

    Leave the cable in place, just replace one of the RJ-45 connectors. When
    you wire the new connector, make it match the one at the other end. That
    will give you a straight through cable.

+ Reply to Thread