network tester question - Connectivity

This is a discussion on network tester question - Connectivity ; I'm going to be stringing some Cat 5 cable later to connect a PC in the living room with the hub in the back room. I want to place the cable first, and attach the ends after I string it ...

  1. network tester question

    I'm going to be stringing some Cat 5 cable later to connect a PC in the
    living room with the hub in the back room. I want to place the cable
    first, and attach the ends after I string it behind the baseboards. I
    have a connectivity tester to make sure the connectors are wired up OK,
    but if one end is plugged into my CPU can the tester be used to verify
    the ends are OK? I don't want to burn it out in case both ends must be
    plugged into the tester, rather than one having voltage from the hub or
    CPU applied to the circuit.

  2. Re: network tester question

    Harry Palms wrote:
    > I'm going to be stringing some Cat 5 cable later to connect a PC in the
    > living room with the hub in the back room. I want to place the cable
    > first, and attach the ends after I string it behind the baseboards. I
    > have a connectivity tester to make sure the connectors are wired up OK,
    > but if one end is plugged into my CPU can the tester be used to verify
    > the ends are OK? I don't want to burn it out in case both ends must be
    > plugged into the tester, rather than one having voltage from the hub or
    > CPU applied to the circuit.

    I don't know for sure that you would not cause harm but there are a few
    cable testers on the market. I used this one wiring my home for
    ethernet and telephone:
    http://www.wisecomponents.com/images...bleloc/468.pdf
    I think it costs somewhere between $100 and $120 but it is worth its
    weight in gold from the headaches it saves.

    KK

+ Reply to Thread