Netgear DG824m help please. - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Netgear DG824m help please. - Connectivity ; Hi Am very new to this so pls be patient I currently use a laptop with a wireless LAN card and the above router which works fine - I had this set up for me by a friend so am ...

  1. Netgear DG824m help please.

    Hi

    Am very new to this so pls be patient

    I currently use a laptop with a wireless LAN card and the above router which
    works fine - I had this set up for me by a friend so am not too familiar
    with how he did it but understand the basics. Basically he disabled Windows
    handling the networking on the PC as it's only running Windows XP SP1 and he
    set up the router for my home network making it secure using 64 bit
    encryption and hexadecimal (sp?) keys. I have set up the card with the same
    settings after formatting the PC and it works fine.

    Problem is that I have now bought a new laptop with built in wireless
    capability running Windows XP Service Pack 2. The new PC can see my home
    network but can't access it as it's secure and, when prompted for the key it
    won't accept the hexadecimal key and instead asks for a different one. It
    says the password needs to be 40 bits or 104 bits and can be entered as 5 or
    13 ASCII characters or 10 or 26 hexadecimal characters - what? How do I

    (a) generate the required type of key or find the existing one in the format
    require by the new PC to access the network.

    (b) view the key within the router so I can just input it as requested?

    I can't see anywhere on the router gateway where this is stored and the
    bloke who installed it originally is scratching his head also. The router
    firmware is the latest one and still works perfectly on the old PC with the
    LAN card.

    Question is whether anyone can help me through this - it's been suggested
    that I may need a new router as this one is a few yrs old now. If that's the
    case can anyone recommend an up to date equivalent (inc firewall) to the
    DG824?

    All help appreciated as it's annoying that I can't use my new toy yet.

    Thanks in advance.

    Paul

  2. Re: Netgear DG824m help please.

    On 25 Dec 2005 13:46, "Paul" wrote:

    >All help appreciated as it's annoying that I can't use my new toy yet.

    surely you can plug in with a cable for now :-)

+ Reply to Thread