help a Newbie? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on help a Newbie? - Connectivity ; Hello all I have just connected 2 computers (both on XP) and can successfully access the internet from both and can see both computer names on either pc, but how do i get outlook express to open from the pc ...

  1. help a Newbie?

    Hello all
    I have just connected 2 computers (both on XP) and can successfully
    access the internet from both and can see both computer names on either pc,
    but how do i get outlook express to open from the pc without the modem
    (ADSL) (keeps asking to dial up connect) also can i access folders from
    either pc with the other? if so how is it done?. says some thing about a
    path not being found, I used the connection "wizard" on both pc's.
    I use a cable connection between both pc's

    --
    Regards....... Ron..

  2. Re: help a Newbie?

    Baalrog wrote:
    > Hello all
    > I have just connected 2 computers (both on XP) and can successfully
    > access the internet from both and can see both computer names on either pc,
    > but how do i get outlook express to open from the pc without the modem
    > (ADSL) (keeps asking to dial up connect) also can i access folders from
    > either pc with the other? if so how is it done?. says some thing about a
    > path not being found, I used the connection "wizard" on both pc's.
    > I use a cable connection between both pc's

    Somewhere in Outlook Express there is an option. These connection
    options are shared with Internet Explorer. If you have internet explorer
    at the top of your start menu, you can right click that and do
    properties. If not, you can use the Internet Options in control panel.

    Once you get the internet options, you can click on Connection tab, and
    then click Never dial a connection. This should stop outlook express and
    internet explorer from trying to use a modem connection.

    As for accessing files on the other computer, that is possible. I
    suggest you read a tutorial on the internet that shows you how to do
    this, this is a start, but doesn't tell you how to access the files you
    have shared. http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...rk.htm#sharing

    Maybe someone else here knows of a good tutorial. I remember seeing a
    comprehensive tutorial that explained everything well, but I don't
    remember where it was.

    Hope this helps

    Eli

  3. Re: help a Newbie?

    "Eli Coten" wrote in message
    > Baalrog wrote:
    >> Hello all
    >> I have just connected 2 computers (both on XP) and can successfully
    >> access the internet from both and can see both computer names on either
    >> pc, but how do i get outlook express to open from the pc without the
    >> modem (ADSL) (keeps asking to dial up connect) also can i access folders
    >> from either pc with the other? if so how is it done?. says some thing
    >> about a path not being found, I used the connection "wizard" on both
    >> pc's.
    >> I use a cable connection between both pc's
    >>

    > Somewhere in Outlook Express there is an option. These connection options
    > are shared with Internet Explorer. If you have internet explorer at the
    > top of your start menu, you can right click that and do properties. If
    > not, you can use the Internet Options in control panel.
    >
    > Once you get the internet options, you can click on Connection tab, and
    > then click Never dial a connection. This should stop outlook express and
    > internet explorer from trying to use a modem connection.
    >
    > As for accessing files on the other computer, that is possible. I suggest
    > you read a tutorial on the internet that shows you how to do this, this is
    > a start, but doesn't tell you how to access the files you have shared.
    > http://www.onecomputerguy.com/networ...rk.htm#sharing
    >
    > Maybe someone else here knows of a good tutorial. I remember seeing a
    > comprehensive tutorial that explained everything well, but I don't
    > remember where it was.
    >
    > Hope this helps
    >
    > Eli
    >Thanks Eli !

  4. Re: help a Newbie?

    Outlook Express also has (mail) account-specific connection options that
    will over-ride the default connection type set on the Connections tab
    in the "Internet Options" control panel. This may be the case if you are
    prompted to connect with a dialup connection only when checking your
    email (as opposed to getting the prompt also when doing other internet
    tasks such as using your browser). Therefore, even if you set the latter
    to "Never Dial Connection", Outlook Express will still try to dial out
    if the specific mail account is set up to dial a connection.

    To find out if this is the case, in Outlook Express, go to the Tools
    menu, then to the "Accounts" section (not "Options"). Go to the "mail"
    tab. There should generally only be one mail server listed here, but
    there could be more than one if you check mail from multiple sources.
    Highlight the name of your mail server, then click on the "properties"
    button. Click on the "Connection" tab, then choose to always connect to
    the account using Local Area Connection (as opposed to any dialup
    connection that may be listed in the drop down dialogue).

  5. Re: help a Newbie?

[...]

+ Reply to Thread