No wireless - Connectivity

This is a discussion on No wireless - Connectivity ; I have this computer (call it #1) running Windows Xp Pro hooked up by cable to one of the ports on a Belkin wireless router. I use this computer to do the changes and setups on the router. I'm using ...

  1. No wireless

    I have this computer (call it #1) running Windows Xp Pro hooked up by cable
    to one of the ports on a Belkin wireless router. I use this computer to do
    the changes and setups on the router. I'm using this setup thru a cable
    modem to work on the internet right now.

    Computer #2 is one running Win98se. It works OK hooked up by cable to
    another port on the router. Both computers see each other on the network
    workgroup and can communicate. PROBLEM: When I disconnect the cable to the
    router and install a Belkin USB adapter there is no communicating between
    the computers. Running winicpfg.exe shows that the router recognizes the
    adapter and assigns an IP address. Running the Belkin "monitor" program
    shows the router signal coming in strong and the "monitor" display shows
    data flow between the adapter and the router but no data flow between the
    router and the interne, just a big "x".

    I took the same wireless adapter to another computer (#3, also running
    Win98se) which had never been hooked up by cable to the router and I
    installed the adapter, did the install setup and it worked fine with no
    problem talking to computer #1 or getting onto the internet.

    Is anything messed up in computer #2 because it was first used thru cable
    hookup? Any suggestions? Is this the best newsgroup for this problem?

    TIA, Bill

  2. Re: No wireless

    Oops! Forget it. It's fixed. All this write-up for nothing. I had run
    winipcfg but I wasn't thorough enough. In the IP Configuration I released
    and renewed only the Belkin USB adapter and should have renewed and released
    all. And when I did this I got the NIC that I had been using for the cable
    hookup out of the way.
    Bill

    "Bill & Vernie Bauer" wrote in message
    >I have this computer (call it #1) running Windows Xp Pro hooked up by cable
    >to one of the ports on a Belkin wireless router. I use this computer to do
    >the changes and setups on the router. I'm using this setup thru a cable
    >modem to work on the internet right now.
    >

    > Computer #2 is one running Win98se. It works OK hooked up by cable to
    > another port on the router. Both computers see each other on the network
    > workgroup and can communicate. PROBLEM: When I disconnect the cable to
    > the router and install a Belkin USB adapter there is no communicating
    > between the computers. Running winicpfg.exe shows that the router
    > recognizes the adapter and assigns an IP address. Running the Belkin
    > "monitor" program shows the router signal coming in strong and the
    > "monitor" display shows data flow between the adapter and the router but
    > no data flow between the router and the interne, just a big "x".
    >

    > I took the same wireless adapter to another computer (#3, also running
    > Win98se) which had never been hooked up by cable to the router and I
    > installed the adapter, did the install setup and it worked fine with no
    > problem talking to computer #1 or getting onto the internet.
    >

    > Is anything messed up in computer #2 because it was first used thru cable
    > hookup? Any suggestions? Is this the best newsgroup for this problem?
    >

    > TIA, Bill

+ Reply to Thread