HELP: DSL connected PC direct network with DSL connected PC formtown A to Town B - Connectivity

This is a discussion on HELP: DSL connected PC direct network with DSL connected PC formtown A to Town B - Connectivity ; hi, I need to connect with my brother PC from another town, both of us have DSL connection. I wish not using VPN nor remote access software like pc-anywhere. Is that possible? How do I do that? My pc is ...

  1. HELP: DSL connected PC direct network with DSL connected PC formtown A to Town B

    hi, I need to connect with my brother PC from another town, both of us
    have DSL connection. I wish not using VPN nor remote access software
    like pc-anywhere. Is that possible? How do I do that?

    My pc is win2k, his is winXP.

    I try ping his IP address that he gave me, but everything I got { time
    out } message. Even he turn off his firewall temporary. Same thing when
    he do his part.

    Please help.

    p/s: Isn't the DSL IP # remain same until you log-off? Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: DSL connected PC direct network with DSL connected PC form town A to Town B

    You want to connect how? I'm assuming you want to share files. If VPN and
    remote access are out of the question, then I would suggest FTP. One of you
    would have to set up an FTP server on your system, the other would have to
    use an FTP client to upload to and download files from the server.

    Are either of you using a router? What is the IP address he gave you (for
    security purposes just give the first two octets, e.g. 192.168.x.x) If it's
    a private IP like this example, you would not be able to ping a computer
    using a private IP address, you would have to ping his public IP provided by
    his Service provider. Then, of course the router would most likely be set up
    to block WAN side pings anyway.

+ Reply to Thread