Router port forwarding - ftp access on my XP machine? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Router port forwarding - ftp access on my XP machine? - Connectivity ; Hi, I have a broadband cable connection to a Linksys WRT54G WiFi router (v2, f/w 4.20.7) creating a WLAN for a desktop and a laptop. I have enabled ftp port forwarding on the router to the desktop so that my ...

  1. Router port forwarding - ftp access on my XP machine?

    Hi,

    I have a broadband cable connection to a Linksys WRT54G WiFi router
    (v2, f/w 4.20.7) creating a WLAN for a desktop and a laptop.

    I have enabled ftp port forwarding on the router to the desktop so that
    my family on the other side of the globe can access my digi-pics etc.
    on the desktop.

    However, when I ftp to the port, it gives a permissions error.

    QUESTION: How do I go about enabling shared folders on my XP-Home SP2
    home network to be accessible from the internet?

    Many thanks for any help on this.

  2. Re: Router port forwarding - ftp access on my XP machine?

    OK,

    So the answer is set up an ftp server... Next problem.

    Hi,

    The Setup:
    Ntl broadband (UK) piped to a Linksys WRT54G WiFi router serving two
    XP-Home SP2 PCs on a WLAN; each PC is running ZoneAlarm Free 6.x.
    Ntl serve a dynamic IP address, so I have registered with dyndns to
    allocate a domain name to my dynamic address.
    Router configured to port forward ftp port 21 to my 'file server' PC.
    Ftp server (http://www.serv-u.com/) set up on my 'file server' PC.

    The Problem:
    When ZA is shutdown, the internet & my WLAN can access the 'file
    server'.
    When ZA is running, only the WLAN can access the 'file server'.

    Help Please:
    Obviously, the WLAN always has access as the two machines are in each
    other's Trusted Zone.
    Obviously, ZA prevents internet access to the 'file server' since this
    is what a firewall does!
    However, is there a way for ZA to allow, let certain types of internet
    access through to the 'file server', e.g. anonymous ftp access to port
    21? I can't even add friends & family IP addresses to the ZA Trusted
    Zone as their ISPs issue dynamic IP addresses.
    Is my only solution NOT to run a firewall?

    Many thanks for any suggestions on this...

  3. Re: Router port forwarding - ftp access on my XP machine?

+ Reply to Thread