Belkin ADSL modem and router - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Belkin ADSL modem and router - Connectivity ; Bit of a long shot, but here goes. My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or never had, a setup disc with the modem. She ...

  1. Belkin ADSL modem and router

    Bit of a long shot, but here goes.

    My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a
    connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or never
    had, a setup disc with the modem. She can't get it to connect at all.
    Bulldog won't help her because it isn't one of their modems.

    Anyone out there got this set up who could tell me what the right modem
    settings are?

    TIA
    --
    Slightly sheepish

    Shear the sheep to reply

  2. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    From: "Slightly Sheepish"

    | Bit of a long shot, but here goes.
    |
    | My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a
    | connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or never
    | had, a setup disc with the modem. She can't get it to connect at all.
    | Bulldog won't help her because it isn't one of their modems.
    |
    | Anyone out there got this set up who could tell me what the right modem
    | settings are?
    |
    | TIA
    | --
    | Slightly sheepish
    |
    | Shear the sheep to reply
    | -----------------------------------------------------

    You have to make sure the modem part is compliant with the ADSL provider.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  3. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    In article , DLipman~nospam~@Verizon.Net
    says...
    > From: "Slightly Sheepish"
    >
    > | Bit of a long shot, but here goes.
    > |
    > | My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a
    > | connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or never
    > | had, a setup disc with the modem. She can't get it to connect at all.
    > | Bulldog won't help her because it isn't one of their modems.
    > |
    > | Anyone out there got this set up who could tell me what the right modem
    > | settings are?
    > |
    > | TIA
    > | --
    > | Slightly sheepish
    > |
    > | Shear the sheep to reply
    > | -----------------------------------------------------
    >
    > You have to make sure the modem part is compliant with the ADSL provider.

    --
    Slightly sheepish

    Shear the sheep to reply

    How do I do that please?

  4. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    Slightly Sheepish wrote:
    > Bit of a long shot, but here goes.
    >
    > My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a
    > connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or
    > never had, a setup disc with the modem. She can't get it to connect
    > at all. Bulldog won't help her because it isn't one of their modems.
    >
    > Anyone out there got this set up who could tell me what the right
    > modem settings are?
    >
    > TIA

    If the ISP will not "provision" the modem, then you are out of luck.
    The provisioning process enters the modem's MAC address into the ISP
    database of authorized modems. No modem will be connected to the ISP
    unless and until it has been authorized to connect; i.e., provisioned.

  5. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    From: "Slightly Sheepish"

    >> You have to make sure the modem part is compliant with the ADSL provider.
    >>

    | --
    | Slightly sheepish
    |
    | Shear the sheep to reply
    | --------------------------------------------------
    |
    | How do I do that please?

    Contact the ISP of course and ask them !

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  6. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    In article ,
    quaoar@tenthplanet.net says...
    > Slightly Sheepish wrote:
    > > Bit of a long shot, but here goes.
    > >
    > > My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a
    > > connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or
    > > never had, a setup disc with the modem. She can't get it to connect
    > > at all. Bulldog won't help her because it isn't one of their modems.
    > >
    > > Anyone out there got this set up who could tell me what the right
    > > modem settings are?
    > >
    > > TIA

    > If the ISP will not "provision" the modem, then you are out of luck.
    > The provisioning process enters the modem's MAC address into the ISP
    > database of authorized modems. No modem will be connected to the ISP
    > unless and until it has been authorized to connect; i.e., provisioned.

    Slightly sheepish

    Shear the sheep to reply
    How can she find the MAC address of the modem? If she connects it to her
    pc, then goes to ipconfig/all will that give her the modem's MAC or her
    ethernet card?

    Sorry, I don't really understand this very well...

  7. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    From: "Slightly Sheepish"

    | --
    | Slightly sheepish
    |
    | Shear the sheep to reply
    | -----------------------------------------------------
    | How can she find the MAC address of the modem? If she connects it to her
    | pc, then goes to ipconfig/all will that give her the modem's MAC or her
    | ethernet card?
    |
    | Sorry, I don't really understand this very well...

    That's OK. The statemnt about provisioning and a MAC address is for a Cable Modem, not a
    DSL modem.

    --
    Dave
    http://www.ik-cs.com/got-a-virus.htm

  8. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    David H. Lipman wrote:
    > From: "Slightly Sheepish"
    >

    >> --
    >> Slightly sheepish
    >>
    >> Shear the sheep to reply
    >> How can she find the MAC address of the modem? If she connects it to
    >> her pc, then goes to ipconfig/all will that give her the modem's MAC
    >> or her ethernet card?
    >>
    >> Sorry, I don't really understand this very well...

    > That's OK. The statemnt about provisioning and a MAC address is for
    > a Cable Modem, not a DSL modem.

    You are correct. Big 'oops' here!

  9. Re: Belkin ADSL modem and router

    Slightly Sheepish wrote:
    > In article ,
    > quaoar@tenthplanet.net says...
    >> Slightly Sheepish wrote:
    >>> Bit of a long shot, but here goes.
    >>>
    >>> My daughter is at Uni and has bought said modem/router to set up a
    >>> connection with Bulldog ADSL. Unfortunately she's either lost, or
    >>> never had, a setup disc with the modem. She can't get it to connect
    >>> at all. Bulldog won't help her because it isn't one of their modems.
    >>>
    >>> Anyone out there got this set up who could tell me what the right
    >>> modem settings are?
    >>>
    >>> TIA

    >> If the ISP will not "provision" the modem, then you are out of luck.
    >> The provisioning process enters the modem's MAC address into the ISP
    >> database of authorized modems. No modem will be connected to the ISP
    >> unless and until it has been authorized to connect; i.e.,
    >> provisioned.

    Bulldog has what looks like a complete guide to setup.
    http://www.bulldogbroadband.com/support/online/ip.asp