Windows XP networking problem. Need HELP - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Windows XP networking problem. Need HELP - Connectivity ; I've got a computer that belongs to a friend that I'm trying to reload. I did an fdisk /mbr, also fdisk and removed all partitions on the drive. Reloaded Windows XP Pro, installed SP2 and everything went fine until I ...

  1. Windows XP networking problem. Need HELP

    I've got a computer that belongs to a friend that I'm trying to
    reload. I did an fdisk /mbr, also fdisk and removed all partitions on
    the drive. Reloaded Windows XP Pro, installed SP2 and everything went
    fine until I let it update. It downloaded 144MB of updates, installed
    them and the network function hasn't worked since! Did a Google
    search and didn't find anything that would fix it.

    I went back, re-fdisked everything again then reloaded the OS again
    only to find that now it still won't connect to my network? There are
    NO conflicts in Device Manager, DHCP is enabled on the TCP/IP Protocol
    but IP address isn't what my network requires, ie, DHCP doesn't appear
    to be working even though it's enabled?

    So, I went in and manually assigned IP addresses and subnet masks to
    match my network and now it will connect to my other computers, but
    not to the internet thru my Internet Gateway even though that appears
    in Network Connections?

    Then I setup a dialup connection and it will dial up and connect to
    the internet fine? Dropped the phone line, reconnected the network
    cable and it WILL NOT CONNECT THRU MY NETWORK?

    Right about now I'm ready to pull my hair out. I've done everything
    I know how to do to get this thing to work. Anyone have any
    suggestions as to what to try next?

    Thanks

  2. Re: Windows XP networking problem. Need HELP

    On Sat, 15 Oct 2005 02:34:23 GMT, TrOll wrote:

    >I've got a computer that belongs to a friend that I'm trying to
    >reload. I did an fdisk /mbr, also fdisk and removed all partitions on
    >the drive. Reloaded Windows XP Pro, installed SP2 and everything went
    >fine until I let it update. It downloaded 144MB of updates, installed
    >them and the network function hasn't worked since! Did a Google
    >search and didn't find anything that would fix it.
    >
    >I went back, re-fdisked everything again then reloaded the OS again
    >only to find that now it still won't connect to my network? There are
    >NO conflicts in Device Manager, DHCP is enabled on the TCP/IP Protocol
    >but IP address isn't what my network requires, ie, DHCP doesn't appear
    >to be working even though it's enabled?
    >
    >So, I went in and manually assigned IP addresses and subnet masks to
    >match my network and now it will connect to my other computers, but
    >not to the internet thru my Internet Gateway even though that appears
    >in Network Connections?
    >
    >Then I setup a dialup connection and it will dial up and connect to
    >the internet fine? Dropped the phone line, reconnected the network
    >cable and it WILL NOT CONNECT THRU MY NETWORK?
    >
    > Right about now I'm ready to pull my hair out. I've done everything
    >I know how to do to get this thing to work. Anyone have any
    >suggestions as to what to try next?
    >
    >Thanks

    I fixed it! FYI, for some reason DHCP was enabled on that puter but
    it wouldn't poll the server (Internet Gateway) for an IP address for
    the network. After reloading the system 4 different times, changing
    NIC cards, and a dozen other things, I finally made a network setup
    disk, ran it on that puter and now it works? Go figure! All I can
    come up with is that Microsoft update M902400 ****ed up this puter
    some way. Go to their site and read what a cluster **** this update
    is. Oh, and you better not download and install that one!!

+ Reply to Thread