two router connections to the internet - Connectivity

This is a discussion on two router connections to the internet - Connectivity ; I'm trying to connect two routers to one Cable modem Internet connection. The first router which is supplied by work and is setup to provide VPN access on my work laptop at home over my Cable Internet connection. The VPN ...

  1. two router connections to the internet

    I'm trying to connect two routers to one Cable modem Internet connection.

    The first router which is supplied by work and is setup to provide VPN
    access on my work laptop at home over my Cable Internet connection. The VPN
    is setup with a fixed IP address that's validated on the work server.

    The second router which is a Linksys Wireless router is used for my home
    computers to connect to the Internet over the same Cable Internet
    connection. This connection is currently setup to use DHCP provided by the
    router to the PCs. The address range for this router and PCs is based on
    the default range of the router out of the box.

    Since both address ranges are different, I tried to setup both routers on a
    10/100 hub with the hub linked to the cable modem.

    When I do this arrangement, the VPN works fine but I can't get the PCs on
    the Linksys hub to see the Internet.

    When I ipconfig all equipment, I see all IP address ranges I would expect to
    see.

    Should this concept work? And if so, any thoughts on what I would change to
    make it work. I didn't know if I have to turn DHCP off on the Linksys
    router and hard code the addresses on the PCs connected to it.

    Thanks

    Steve

  2. Re: two router connections to the internet

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:56:09 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:

    > I'm trying to connect two routers to one Cable modem Internet connection.
    >
    > The first router which is supplied by work and is setup to provide VPN
    > access on my work laptop at home over my Cable Internet connection. The VPN
    > is setup with a fixed IP address that's validated on the work server.
    >
    > The second router which is a Linksys Wireless router is used for my home
    > computers to connect to the Internet over the same Cable Internet
    > connection. This connection is currently setup to use DHCP provided by the
    > router to the PCs. The address range for this router and PCs is based on
    > the default range of the router out of the box.
    >
    > Since both address ranges are different, I tried to setup both routers on a
    > 10/100 hub with the hub linked to the cable modem.
    >
    > When I do this arrangement, the VPN works fine but I can't get the PCs on
    > the Linksys hub to see the Internet.
    >
    > When I ipconfig all equipment, I see all IP address ranges I would expect to
    > see.
    >
    > Should this concept work?

    Not unless your cable company gives you two public IP Addresses.

    Why don't you just plug your computers into one of the LAN ports on the vpn
    router?

  3. Re: two router connections to the internet

    I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.

    Steve

    "BobC" wrote in message
    news:1nnzctltgtuq5$.1vle33ao7jhoq.dlg@40tude.net.. .
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 20:56:09 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:
    >
    > > I'm trying to connect two routers to one Cable modem Internet

    connection.

    > > The first router which is supplied by work and is setup to provide VPN
    > > access on my work laptop at home over my Cable Internet connection. The

    VPN
    > > is setup with a fixed IP address that's validated on the work server.
    > >
    > > The second router which is a Linksys Wireless router is used for my home
    > > computers to connect to the Internet over the same Cable Internet
    > > connection. This connection is currently setup to use DHCP provided by

    the
    > > router to the PCs. The address range for this router and PCs is based

    on
    > > the default range of the router out of the box.
    > >
    > > Since both address ranges are different, I tried to setup both routers

    on a
    > > 10/100 hub with the hub linked to the cable modem.
    > >
    > > When I do this arrangement, the VPN works fine but I can't get the PCs

    on
    > > the Linksys hub to see the Internet.
    > >
    > > When I ipconfig all equipment, I see all IP address ranges I would

    expect to
    > > see.
    > >
    > > Should this concept work?

    > Not unless your cable company gives you two public IP Addresses.
    >
    > Why don't you just plug your computers into one of the LAN ports on the

    vpn
    > router?

  4. Re: two router connections to the internet

    On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:28 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:

    > I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.
    >
    > Steve

    Security from what? Your vpn connection will be separate and secure from
    your LAN unless you specifically allow local access. Your vpn connected
    computer will be part of the remote network. In fact, your sys admin may
    not allow local browsing nor local gateway while connected to the VPN. So
    the VPN connected computer will be isolated from your local internet
    gateway and LAN and will be part of the corporate network.

  5. Re: two router connections to the internet

    Basically I have no control over the setup of the VPN router. And if I want
    to use the VPN router to provide Internet access to my home pc's, they get
    to the Internet through the work tunnel not directly to the Internet through
    the Internet service provider.

    "BobC" wrote in message
    news0616x4lchrg$.z7ono6wvgwk5$.dlg@40tude.net...
    > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:28 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:
    >
    > > I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.
    > >
    > > Steve
    > >

    > Security from what? Your vpn connection will be separate and secure from
    > your LAN unless you specifically allow local access. Your vpn connected
    > computer will be part of the remote network. In fact, your sys admin may
    > not allow local browsing nor local gateway while connected to the VPN. So
    > the VPN connected computer will be isolated from your local internet
    > gateway and LAN and will be part of the corporate network.

  6. Re: two router connections to the internet

    Could you not do away with the other router and plug the "home" pc directly
    into the broadband router - having the second router there is providing no
    benefit - unless I am missing something?

    Marc
    "Steve Arndt" wrote in message
    > Basically I have no control over the setup of the VPN router. And if I
    > want
    > to use the VPN router to provide Internet access to my home pc's, they get
    > to the Internet through the work tunnel not directly to the Internet
    > through
    > the Internet service provider.
    >
    > "BobC" wrote in message
    > news0616x4lchrg$.z7ono6wvgwk5$.dlg@40tude.net...
    >> On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:28 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:
    >>
    >> > I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.
    >> >
    >> > Steve
    >> >

    >> Security from what? Your vpn connection will be separate and secure from
    >> your LAN unless you specifically allow local access. Your vpn connected
    >> computer will be part of the remote network. In fact, your sys admin may
    >> not allow local browsing nor local gateway while connected to the VPN. So
    >> the VPN connected computer will be isolated from your local internet
    >> gateway and LAN and will be part of the corporate network.

  7. Re: two router connections to the internet

    [This followup was posted to alt.comp.networking.connectivity and a copy
    was sent to the cited author.]

    In article , sarndt01@comcast.net
    says...
    > Basically I have no control over the setup of the VPN router. And if I want
    > to use the VPN router to provide Internet access to my home pc's, they get
    > to the Internet through the work tunnel not directly to the Internet through
    > the Internet service provider.
    >
    > "BobC" wrote in message
    > news0616x4lchrg$.z7ono6wvgwk5$.dlg@40tude.net...
    > > On Fri, 23 Sep 2005 22:05:28 -0700, Steve Arndt wrote:
    > >
    > > > I was trying to seperate the two for security reasons.
    > > >
    > > > Steve
    > > >

    > > Security from what? Your vpn connection will be separate and secure from
    > > your LAN unless you specifically allow local access. Your vpn connected
    > > computer will be part of the remote network. In fact, your sys admin may
    > > not allow local browsing nor local gateway while connected to the VPN. So
    > > the VPN connected computer will be isolated from your local internet
    > > gateway and LAN and will be part of the corporate network.

    That would not be normal config for a VPN tunnel. Typically the VPN
    router will have a route table entry for the IP's or subnets that are
    present at the other end of the tunnel, then all other traffic is sent
    normally.

    You should check with your corp IT about the config. 2 routers will not
    work properly unless one is acting as a bridge and that's just a mess.
    Michael Hyman
    Owner/Consultant
    OnTarget Solutions
    - Linux/Unix/Windows consulting
    - Network/Database/System Administration
    www.OnTargetSolutions.net | (510)907-0169

+ Reply to Thread