HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home! - Connectivity

This is a discussion on HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home! - Connectivity ; I'm a newbie at this so please be patient with me. My set-up: I have 2 computers: a generic desktop I had custom built for me 18 months ago and a Sony Vaio - both use XP and service pack ...

  1. HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home!

    I'm a newbie at this so please be patient with me.

    My set-up:

    I have 2 computers: a generic desktop I had custom built for me 18
    months ago and a Sony Vaio - both use XP and service pack 2 is
    installed on both.

    I use a Linksys 2.4 GHz router that the desktop plugs into and a
    wireless adapter for the laptop.

    I use a Zone Alarm firewall, I have the Windows firewall turned off
    and I am the administrator for both computers.

    I have been using Zone Alarm for a long while now and gave access
    permission for both computers when I first set this up. I constantly
    check to make sure Microsoft's firewall (I hate this thing) doesn't
    turn itself back on. Which it frequently does.

    I have both computers set up to access the internet through a
    residential gateway and I have run the setup configuration for the
    wireless network countless times.

    My problem:

    About 2 months ago, the power went out.

    I had to uninstall modem driver and then unplug the cable modem and
    the router.

    Then I powered down, and plugged back in the router, modem and
    installed the modem driver.

    [Comcast has me do this every once in a while when they change the IP
    address on me or the power goes out. Ususlly when this happens,
    everything gets reset and there's no problem.]

    Until 2 months ago.

    Since then, I am able to get internet access with both the desktop and
    the laptop. However, I cannot access files on my home network.

    The desktop "sees" the laptop (in "view workgroup computers"), but
    will not let me aceess the computer or any of the files on it.

    When I right-click on the mouse to OPEN the Vaio, I get this message:
    "\\Vaoi is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    out if you have access permission. The network path was not found."

    The laptop is another story.

    It won't even let me get that far without seeing the message:
    "MSHome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    out if you have access permission. The network path was not found."

    Where I am at:

    I fear I have something screwed up somewhere in my attempts to get
    these two to talk with each other. Especially when trying to get the
    wireless network back up again.

    If I had to guess, I'd say the problem was with the laptop, but can't
    be sure.

    I'll be damed if I'll pay Geek Squad $160 to come to my house and fix
    the problem. I'd like to fix it on my own so I know what to do in the
    future, but am not sure what to try next.

    I'd appreciate any help people can give.

    TIA.

    Weegey

  2. Re: HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home!

    Run the Network Wizard again on both computers..........let us know
    peterk

    --
    "The saddest aspect of life right now is that science gathers knowledge
    faster than society gathers wisdom. - Isaac Asimov
    wrote in message news:dtr2j15hi8829i4u7tif27h3g8sr01pb3r@4ax.com...
    > I'm a newbie at this so please be patient with me.
    >
    > My set-up:
    >
    > I have 2 computers: a generic desktop I had custom built for me 18
    > months ago and a Sony Vaio - both use XP and service pack 2 is
    > installed on both.
    >
    > I use a Linksys 2.4 GHz router that the desktop plugs into and a
    > wireless adapter for the laptop.
    >
    > I use a Zone Alarm firewall, I have the Windows firewall turned off
    > and I am the administrator for both computers.
    >
    > I have been using Zone Alarm for a long while now and gave access
    > permission for both computers when I first set this up. I constantly
    > check to make sure Microsoft's firewall (I hate this thing) doesn't
    > turn itself back on. Which it frequently does.
    >
    > I have both computers set up to access the internet through a
    > residential gateway and I have run the setup configuration for the
    > wireless network countless times.
    >
    > My problem:
    >
    > About 2 months ago, the power went out.
    >
    > I had to uninstall modem driver and then unplug the cable modem and
    > the router.
    >
    > Then I powered down, and plugged back in the router, modem and
    > installed the modem driver.
    >
    > [Comcast has me do this every once in a while when they change the IP
    > address on me or the power goes out. Ususlly when this happens,
    > everything gets reset and there's no problem.]
    >
    > Until 2 months ago.
    >
    > Since then, I am able to get internet access with both the desktop and
    > the laptop. However, I cannot access files on my home network.
    >
    > The desktop "sees" the laptop (in "view workgroup computers"), but
    > will not let me aceess the computer or any of the files on it.
    >
    > When I right-click on the mouse to OPEN the Vaio, I get this message:
    > "\\Vaoi is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    > out if you have access permission. The network path was not found."
    >
    > The laptop is another story.
    >
    > It won't even let me get that far without seeing the message:
    > "MSHome is not accessible. You might not have permission to use this
    > network resource. Contact the administrator of this server to find
    > out if you have access permission. The network path was not found."
    >

    > Where I am at:
    >
    > I fear I have something screwed up somewhere in my attempts to get
    > these two to talk with each other. Especially when trying to get the
    > wireless network back up again.
    >
    > If I had to guess, I'd say the problem was with the laptop, but can't
    > be sure.
    >
    > I'll be damed if I'll pay Geek Squad $160 to come to my house and fix
    > the problem. I'd like to fix it on my own so I know what to do in the
    > future, but am not sure what to try next.
    >
    > I'd appreciate any help people can give.
    >
    > TIA.
    >
    > Weegey

  3. Re: HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home!

    On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:21:33 GMT, "peterk"
    wrote:

    >Run the Network Wizard again on both computers..........let us know
    >peterk

    Unfortunately, nothing changes. I run the wizard and set them both as
    accessing the computer through a residential gateway, but it doesn't
    change things.

  4. Re: HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home!

    Sorry I forgot something..........Before you run the wizard again go into
    MyComputer and change the WorkGroup name.
    Creatting a new workgroup should correct the situation....at least it did on
    my XP Home edition
    peterk

    --
    wrote in message news:nu25j15ohfbvoph33o72vov7v340n0trpo@4ax.com...
    > On Thu, 22 Sep 2005 02:21:33 GMT, "peterk"
    > wrote:
    >
    >>Run the Network Wizard again on both computers..........let us know
    >>peterk

    > Unfortunately, nothing changes. I run the wizard and set them both as
    > accessing the computer through a residential gateway, but it doesn't
    > change things.

  5. Re: HELP!!! Problem with desktop and laptop network at home!

    I managed to get a little further, but not by much.
    On the Vaio, I ran the networking wizard again and renamed the
    computer.

    I can now access the Vaio computer (under network places) in the Vaio,
    but (a) the Vaio doesn't see the desktop and (b) the desktop doesn't
    see the Vaio.

    Weegey.

+ Reply to Thread