Network problem between two windows XP machines! - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Network problem between two windows XP machines! - Connectivity ; I have 2 PC's in my room connected to each other through a Linksys 5 port switch. The switch is hooked up to a router in another room with more pc's on it etc etc. The thing is both my ...

  1. Network problem between two windows XP machines!

    I have 2 PC's in my room connected to each other through a Linksys 5
    port switch. The switch is hooked up to a router in another room with
    more pc's on it etc etc.

    The thing is both my pc's have 100mbit cards and the switch is 100mbit
    capable. But the 100 lights on it do not light up and transfering 3
    gigs of files between the 2 pc's took around 50 mins!!! Even 10mbit
    should be faster than that.

    Oh and I am running both pc's on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates
    installed...

    Any idea what might be the problem?

    Or can you direct me to a good web site for help?

    Thanks

    Moondog

  2. Re: Network problem between two windows XP machines!

    Moondog wrote:

    > I have 2 PC's in my room connected to each other through a Linksys 5
    > port switch. The switch is hooked up to a router in another room with
    > more pc's on it etc etc.
    >
    > The thing is both my pc's have 100mbit cards and the switch is 100mbit
    > capable. But the 100 lights on it do not light up and transfering 3
    > gigs of files between the 2 pc's took around 50 mins!!! Even 10mbit
    > should be faster than that.
    >
    > Oh and I am running both pc's on Windows XP Pro SP2 with all updates
    > installed...
    >
    > Any idea what might be the problem?
    >
    > Or can you direct me to a good web site for help?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > Moondog

    I would see if temporarily removing one of the switches changes the speed.
    It seems its the switch due to leds at 100 MBS not lighting up. Some
    switches share the bandwidth. So if you have 4 ports each one gets
    about 10 m bits (not 100) not what you would expect.
    I would certainly check the switch specs a little more thoroughly.

  3. Re: Network problem between two windows XP machines!

    Hi,
    I don't know about that particular switch, but it could be one of the
    following:

    1) Maybe the switch is a hub, and as the router that you mention is
    connecting at 10Mb/s it is negotiating with the PC's to connect at 10MB/s

    2) It could be that the PC's are "Autonegotiating" and the switch is
    "Autosensing" - this would result in the switch not understanding the pc's
    and vice versa - with the connection speed droppingback to 10Mb's (default)

    3) Are the PC's set to autonegotiate the connection speed? What happens if
    you hard set them to 100MB/s full duplex?

    4) (unlikely to be the cause of the problem, but...) is your cabling up to
    scratch?

    Thanks

    Marc
    "Jacko" wrote in message
    news:4335f144$0$6771$afc38c87@news.optusnet.com.au ...
    > Moondog wrote:
    >>
    >> I have 2 PC's in my room connected to each other through a Linksys 5
    >> port switch. The switch is hooked up to a router in another room with
    >> more pc's on it etc etc.
    >>
    >> The thing is both my pc's have 100mbit cards and the switch is 100mbit
    >> capable. But the 100 lights on it do not light up and transfering 3
    >> gigs of files between the 2 pc's took around 50 mins!!! Even 10mbit
    >> should be faster than that. Oh and I am running both pc's on Windows XP
    >> Pro SP2 with all updates
    >> installed... Any idea what might be the problem?
    >>
    >> Or can you direct me to a good web site for help?
    >>
    >> Thanks
    >>
    >> Moondog
    >>

    > I would see if temporarily removing one of the switches changes the speed.
    > It seems its the switch due to leds at 100 MBS not lighting up. Some
    > switches share the bandwidth. So if you have 4 ports each one gets
    > about 10 m bits (not 100) not what you would expect.
    > I would certainly check the switch specs a little more thoroughly.

+ Reply to Thread