losing domain name resolution - Connectivity

This is a discussion on losing domain name resolution - Connectivity ; Compaq Presario 2175us; WinXpProSp1; NS7.2; Dlink DI524 wireless router. My internet connectivity is fine, but I keep losing domain name lookup. If I type a url, I get the "name cannot be found" message. (I forget the exact wording.) But ...

  1. losing domain name resolution

    Compaq Presario 2175us; WinXpProSp1; NS7.2; Dlink DI524 wireless router.

    My internet connectivity is fine, but I keep losing domain name lookup.
    If I type a url, I get the "name cannot be found" message. (I forget
    the exact wording.) But if I type IP addresses into my web browser, I
    can get to web pages.

    The DNS server is assigned automatically by the router, and is, as
    expected, 192.168.0.1. I also tried hard coding it to 192.168.0.1, but
    this did not affect the situation.

    The problem exists regardless of whether I am using wireless or ethernet.

    Sometimes, rebooting will fix the problem. Sometimes not. Sometimes,
    if the laptop just sits for a while, it mysteriously heal itself. The
    problem is occurring two or three times a day. There are two other
    laptops on the LAN, and neither are having any problems.

    Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Howard Delman
    --
    Delman Design
    Digital design from conception to production

  2. Re: losing domain name resolution

    In article <11irshafu6tjc24@corp.supernews.com>,
    Howard Delman wrote:

    > Compaq Presario 2175us; WinXpProSp1; NS7.2; Dlink DI524 wireless router.
    >
    > My internet connectivity is fine, but I keep losing domain name lookup.
    > If I type a url, I get the "name cannot be found" message. (I forget
    > the exact wording.) But if I type IP addresses into my web browser, I
    > can get to web pages.
    >
    > The DNS server is assigned automatically by the router, and is, as
    > expected, 192.168.0.1. I also tried hard coding it to 192.168.0.1, but
    > this did not affect the situation.
    >
    > The problem exists regardless of whether I am using wireless or ethernet.
    >
    > Sometimes, rebooting will fix the problem. Sometimes not. Sometimes,
    > if the laptop just sits for a while, it mysteriously heal itself. The
    > problem is occurring two or three times a day. There are two other
    > laptops on the LAN, and neither are having any problems.
    >
    > Any ideas would be appreciated.

    Get a list of public DNS hosts, and stick a couple of their addresses in
    the appropriate place in your IP setup (I don't know what it's called in
    Windows).

    Isaac

+ Reply to Thread