Questions about building a wireless network at Home - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Questions about building a wireless network at Home - Connectivity ; I not computer illerate but have little exposure to networking. I currently have my DSL internet connection networked between a desktop and a laptop with a Linksys G Wireless router and pc card. I want to move from sharing the ...

  1. Questions about building a wireless network at Home

    I not computer illerate but have little exposure to networking. I currently
    have my DSL internet connection networked between a desktop and a laptop
    with a Linksys G Wireless router and pc card.

    I want to move from sharing the internet only to a more robust home
    network with file sharing/movement, printing, etc.

    The planned network will have 2 desktops, a notebook and 3 printers (2
    attached to the desktops and 1 on a print server) and a wireless XBox
    adapter.

    The Linksys gear already has another new home once I get this thing set
    up. So far, I have purchased the following items: Belkin Pre-N Wireless
    Router and notebook adapter plus a Belkin Wireless G print server. A
    Belkin Pre-N Desktop adapter is on the way. I need to get a wireless
    adaptor for the XBox.

    As I pointed out above I managed to network the internet connection but it
    took me a week to find out and then figure out how to put my Westell DSL
    modem in bridged mode.

    Now the stupid questions:

    Can I do all of this with XP Home or do I need to updrade to XP Media or
    Pro?

    Is security had to set up? I don't want the neighbors in my business.

    What am I missing?

  2. Re: Questions about building a wireless network at Home

    Nevermind, information already out there. Just needed to look. Found this
    plus many more.

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/u...g/default.mspx

+ Reply to Thread