Question on Ethernet autonegotiation - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Question on Ethernet autonegotiation - Connectivity ; I'm having some network problems related to Ethernet 10/100 autonegotiation, and I'm wondering about something. Does the autonegotiation process evaluate the performance of the cabling between the negotiating endpoints, to see if it's reliable at the higher speed? If it ...

  1. Question on Ethernet autonegotiation

    I'm having some network problems related to Ethernet 10/100
    autonegotiation, and I'm wondering about something.

    Does the autonegotiation process evaluate the performance of the cabling
    between the negotiating endpoints, to see if it's reliable at the higher
    speed?

    If it does, exactly how does that work? I want to know in detail, to see
    if I can hack up a work-around. (I'm quite technically literate; lay it
    on).

    If it doesn't, the process is badly broken.

    thanks, Isaac

  2. Re: Question on Ethernet autonegotiation

    http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0704/817-7526.pdf

    -N

    "Isaac Wingfield" wrote in message
    > I'm having some network problems related to Ethernet 10/100
    > autonegotiation, and I'm wondering about something.
    >
    > Does the autonegotiation process evaluate the performance of the cabling
    > between the negotiating endpoints, to see if it's reliable at the higher
    > speed?
    >
    > If it does, exactly how does that work? I want to know in detail, to see
    > if I can hack up a work-around. (I'm quite technically literate; lay it
    > on).
    >
    > If it doesn't, the process is badly broken.
    >
    > thanks, Isaac

  3. Re: Question on Ethernet autonegotiation

    In article ,
    "Norm" wrote:

    > http://www.sun.com/blueprints/0704/817-7526.pdf

    I found that. It does not discuss whether the wiring is evaluated for
    100 MB capability, or how it is done. That is what I need to know.

    If autonegotiation sets up a high-speed link *without* proving that the
    cables are adequate, it is a very flawed standard, indeed.

    But it wouldn't be the first.

    Isaac

    > "Isaac Wingfield" wrote in message
    > > I'm having some network problems related to Ethernet 10/100
    > > autonegotiation, and I'm wondering about something.
    > >
    > > Does the autonegotiation process evaluate the performance of the cabling
    > > between the negotiating endpoints, to see if it's reliable at the higher
    > > speed?
    > >
    > > If it does, exactly how does that work? I want to know in detail, to see
    > > if I can hack up a work-around. (I'm quite technically literate; lay it
    > > on).
    > >
    > > If it doesn't, the process is badly broken.
    > >
    > > thanks, Isaac

+ Reply to Thread