connecting 2 pcs to the internet - Connectivity

This is a discussion on connecting 2 pcs to the internet - Connectivity ; I have two pcs running windows xp; both use a router. One (luckily my main one) connects to the 'net, no problem. The other one gives a "cannot find page" error whenever I try. the only difference that I can ...

  1. connecting 2 pcs to the internet

    I have two pcs running windows xp; both use a router. One (luckily my
    main one) connects to the 'net, no problem. The other one gives a
    "cannot find page" error whenever I try.

    the only difference that I can see on the network settings is that the
    pc that works has an IP address of 10.0.0.103, the one that doesn't
    work, of 10.0.0.105 (although I've tried 10.0.0.15 as well).

    Although I use apps like XL to a high level and VBA, I am very basic
    as far as networks/internet connections are concerned, so please bear
    this in mind in any replies!

    Any suggestions gratefully received.

    TIA

    Steve

  2. Re: connecting 2 pcs to the internet

    Next step, on the machine that doesn't seem to be connecting, see if you can
    ping out to your ISP's DNS server. You're ISP's documentation should
    indicate the server's address. This should indicate base connectivity. If
    you can ping it successfully (no packet loss), you most likely have a
    software issue (often related to firewall, corrupted winsocks, etc.) If you
    have firewall software on this machine, uninstall it completely. You can
    always reinstall it later. Make sure XP's (built in) firewall is disabled as
    well.Try connecting to a site again.

    > I have two pcs running windows xp; both use a router. One (luckily my
    > main one) connects to the 'net, no problem. The other one gives a
    > "cannot find page" error whenever I try.
    >
    > the only difference that I can see on the network settings is that the
    > pc that works has an IP address of 10.0.0.103, the one that doesn't
    > work, of 10.0.0.105 (although I've tried 10.0.0.15 as well).
    >
    > Although I use apps like XL to a high level and VBA, I am very basic
    > as far as networks/internet connections are concerned, so please bear
    > this in mind in any replies!
    >
    > Any suggestions gratefully received.
    >
    > TIA
    >
    > Steve