wireless - Connectivity

This is a discussion on wireless - Connectivity ; Having set up networks before, I should know better, but I have a question My daughter has a laptop with a wireless card and the apartment she has moved into has DSL. She thinks the router that the landlord has ...

  1. wireless

    Having set up networks before, I should know better, but I have a question

    My daughter has a laptop with a wireless card and the apartment she has
    moved into has DSL. She thinks the router that the landlord has is a wired
    router (could be wrong, though). Can she daisy chain a wireless router to
    it and go wireless or does she have to plug into the wired router. Does the
    brand matter?

  2. Re: wireless

    She can daisy chain a wireless router to it
    peterk

    the problem
    "Nate Rosenthal" wrote in message
    > Having set up networks before, I should know better, but I have a question
    >
    > My daughter has a laptop with a wireless card and the apartment she has
    > moved into has DSL. She thinks the router that the landlord has is a
    > wired
    > router (could be wrong, though). Can she daisy chain a wireless router to
    > it and go wireless or does she have to plug into the wired router. Does
    > the
    > brand matter?

  3. Re: wireless

    Two NATS don't make a right (assuming that the landlord's router is using
    NAT). Wouldn't recommend using a wireless router unless it could be forced
    into bridged mode. In which case the same net effect (excuse the pun) would
    be to connect a simple wireless access point to the landlords wired router.

    "peterk" wrote in message
    > She can daisy chain a wireless router to it
    > peterk

  4. Re: wireless

    and no doubt cheaper
    "pengulin" wrote in message
    > Two NATS don't make a right (assuming that the landlord's router is using
    > NAT). Wouldn't recommend using a wireless router unless it could be forced
    > into bridged mode. In which case the same net effect (excuse the pun)
    > would
    > be to connect a simple wireless access point to the landlords wired
    > router.
    >
    > "peterk" wrote in message
    >> She can daisy chain a wireless router to it
    >> peterk

+ Reply to Thread