bridging a usb modem to the network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on bridging a usb modem to the network - Connectivity ; Hi, I was wondering if it was possible to create a software bridge in Windows XP between a LAN connection and a USB ADSL Modem connected to one of the computers to allow the other computer to access the internet. ...

  1. bridging a usb modem to the network

    Hi,

    I was wondering if it was possible to create a software bridge in Windows XP
    between a LAN connection and a USB ADSL Modem connected to one of the
    computers to allow the other computer to access the internet. I have tried
    enabling ICS on the modem but that seems to be disabled in XP. If this is
    not possible then is there another way to share the Internet connection of
    the USB modem?

    Thanks for any pointers.

  2. Re: bridging a usb modem to the network

    Internet Connection Sharing on the modem? Unless the modem is a
    modem/router combo, that's not the way it works. ICS itself turns a windows
    box into a simple NAT router. If the Modem is a modem/router combo, it
    should have at least one LAN side ethernet port which could be connected
    directly to a second computer OR a hub or switch to facilitate physical
    connections to other computers.

    If using ICS on the windows box, the computer must have an ethernet port
    that can be assigned to LAN traffic (the WAN side being connected via USB).
    If two computers are connected directly together, the network cable must be
    a crossover cable. Otherwise, the ICS computer can be connected to a hub or
    switch to facilitate the physical connection to one or more other computers.
    A crossover cable would not be needed if a hub or switch is used.

    "JH" wrote in message
    > Hi,
    >
    > I was wondering if it was possible to create a software bridge in Windows

    XP
    > between a LAN connection and a USB ADSL Modem connected to one of the
    > computers to allow the other computer to access the internet. I have tried
    > enabling ICS on the modem but that seems to be disabled in XP. If this is
    > not possible then is there another way to share the Internet connection of
    > the USB modem?
    >
    > Thanks for any pointers.

  3. Re: bridging a usb modem to the network

    On 9/1/05 1:02 PM, in article 11hdnooddjp6o6d@corp.supernews.com, "pengulin"
    wrote:

    > Internet Connection Sharing on the modem? Unless the modem is a
    > modem/router combo, that's not the way it works. ICS itself turns a windows
    > box into a simple NAT router. If the Modem is a modem/router combo, it
    > should have at least one LAN side ethernet port which could be connected
    > directly to a second computer OR a hub or switch to facilitate physical
    > connections to other computers.

    Sorry, but using the sharing control panel you can share any connection via
    any other connection.

    Meaning you can have a modem connection which you share with other computers
    via Ethernet, firewire, or airport.

    ej

  4. Re: bridging a usb modem to the network

    > Sorry, but using the sharing control panel you can share any connection
    via
    > any other connection.
    >
    > Meaning you can have a modem connection which you share with other

    computers
    > via Ethernet, firewire, or airport.
    >
    > ej

    Sorry? EJ? Did you not see the second paragraph in my post? The "sharing
    control panel" you speak of allows Windows Xp users to control Internet
    Connection Sharing (ICS). ICS is a software component of Windows that allows
    the operating system to act as a simple "Network Address Translator" to
    route packets back and forth between the public internet and a private local
    network. In order for ICS to work, Windows must recognize two network
    adaptors -- one for use on the public WAN, and one to use for the local LAN.
    In the OP's case, the public WAN network adaptor is the USB xDsl modem (as
    far as Windows is concerned, a USB-connected dsl modem is the same thing as
    a standard NIC... that happens to be connected to an xDSL modem). The other
    (private LAN) network adaptor would normally have to be a standard ethernet
    NIC (although wireless and HPNA adaptors could be used as well).

    Alas I think we both have failed to answer the OP's question. From what I
    gather, the OP seems unable to select the USB modem as a network device to
    use in ICS. This could be a driver issue (especially if the device is not
    showing up at all as an option within ICS). If this is the issue, the OP
    should check device manager to make sure the xDSL modem is recognized (it
    would normally show up as a network adaptor, not as a "modem"). If it is not
    recognized properly in device manager, the OP should consult the
    manufacturers instructions for the device to install its drivers properly.

+ Reply to Thread