Problems with autonegotiating on a linksys switch (seems to be weak signals?) - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Problems with autonegotiating on a linksys switch (seems to be weak signals?) - Connectivity ; I've got a gigabit linksys router (SD2005) with about 60'-70' of CAT5e cable between it and my computer (tried several different machines, all get same result). When I plug in the comptuter, I dont get a connection, but the indicator ...

  1. Problems with autonegotiating on a linksys switch (seems to be weak signals?)

    I've got a gigabit linksys router (SD2005) with about 60'-70' of CAT5e cable
    between it and my computer (tried several different machines, all get same
    result).

    When I plug in the comptuter, I dont get a connection, but the indicator
    light on the LinkSys slowly flashes on and off.

    I found this on the LinkSys site:

    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1

    This works, but I dont want to have to operate at 10 Mbps. Everything I
    have read tells me that 70' of cable should not be too much. I've tried
    some other hubs (older Linksys) which get the same result.

    What other variables could be causing this? The wire is brand new and just
    laid - could other devices or wiring be degrading the signal?

    Anything???

    Thanks - dan

  2. Re: Problems with autonegotiating on a linksys switch (seems to be weak signals?)

    If someone erased the flash file, is any other option to get back router on
    Router prompt istead of rommon one.

    "dan mcgraw" wrote in message
    > I've got a gigabit linksys router (SD2005) with about 60'-70' of CAT5e

    cable
    > between it and my computer (tried several different machines, all get same
    > result).
    >
    > When I plug in the comptuter, I dont get a connection, but the indicator
    > light on the LinkSys slowly flashes on and off.
    >
    > I found this on the LinkSys site:

    http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...d_adp.php?p_fa
    qid=320&p_created=1084209076&p_sid=kyr5fCMh&p_lva=&p_sp=cF9zcmNoPTEmcF9zb3J0
    X2J5PSZwX2dyaWRzb3J0PSZwX3Jvd19jbnQ9MTM4JnBfcHJvZH M9MCZwX2NhdHM9JnBfcHY9JnBf
    Y3Y9JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9YW5zd2Vycy5zZWFyY2hfbmwmcF 9zY2ZfbGFuZz0xJnBfcGFnZT0x
    JnBfc2VhcmNoX3RleHQ9c3dpdGNoIGxpZ2h0IHNsb3dseSBmbG FzaGVz&p_li=&p_topview=1

    > This works, but I dont want to have to operate at 10 Mbps. Everything I
    > have read tells me that 70' of cable should not be too much. I've tried
    > some other hubs (older Linksys) which get the same result.
    >
    > What other variables could be causing this? The wire is brand new and

    just
    > laid - could other devices or wiring be degrading the signal?
    >
    > Anything???
    >
    > Thanks - dan

  3. Re: Problems with autonegotiating on a linksys switch (seems to be weak signals?)

    Is it a pre-manufactured CAT5e cable, or something you ran, and
    terminated with jacks on each end? Did you crimp the ends on
    yourself? Does the computer have a gigabit NIC?

    At least with my Linksys gigabit router, the switch and computer will
    try for around 10-15 seconds to establish a gig connection, then falls
    back to 100mbps. If you don't wait long enough you won't see the
    connection come up.

    If you get only 3 out of the 4 from the orange and green pairs, you can
    sometimes hold a 10mbps connection.
    If you get the orange and green pairs working, you can hold a 100mbps
    connection
    Only if all 8 work will you get a gigabit connection.

    When installing my gigabit router for the first time, I swore there was
    a problem with my cat5 wiring. Could not seem to establish GigE on two
    stations. Finally found the brown pair broken near where the sheath
    was stripped back. Never was a problem for 100mbps, since it doesn't
    use brown or blue.

    dan mcgraw wrote:
    > I've got a gigabit linksys router (SD2005) with about 60'-70' of CAT5e cable
    > between it and my computer (tried several different machines, all get same
    > result).
    >
    > When I plug in the comptuter, I dont get a connection, but the indicator
    > light on the LinkSys slowly flashes on and off.
    >
    > I found this on the LinkSys site:
    >
    > http://linksys.custhelp.com/cgi-bin/...i=&p_topview=1
    >
    > This works, but I dont want to have to operate at 10 Mbps. Everything I
    > have read tells me that 70' of cable should not be too much. I've tried
    > some other hubs (older Linksys) which get the same result.
    >
    > What other variables could be causing this? The wire is brand new and just
    > laid - could other devices or wiring be degrading the signal?
    >
    > Anything???
    >
    > Thanks - dan

+ Reply to Thread