Loses Connection to Other Computers, Internet Still OK : XP Pro - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Loses Connection to Other Computers, Internet Still OK : XP Pro - Connectivity ; We have a configuration with four XP Pro office computers: 2 Dell Precision 360s (computers A & B), 2 new Dell Precision 380s (computers C & D) that replaced a WinME and a Win2K. This is in a Workgroup setting ...

  1. Loses Connection to Other Computers, Internet Still OK : XP Pro

    We have a configuration with four XP Pro office computers: 2 Dell Precision
    360s (computers A & B), 2 new Dell Precision 380s (computers C & D) that
    replaced a WinME and a Win2K. This is in a Workgroup setting with shared
    files and printers.

    Everything is behind a BEFSX41 firewall router connected to the DSL modem.
    The BEFSX41 does DHCP for the network.

    Additionally we have a WRT54G wireless router acting as a Switch connected
    to the BEFSX41. [1]

    One 360 (computer A) has a static IP and is hardwired to the BEFSX41 and is
    sharing a Laserjet 2300.

    The other three computers (360, computer B; 380s, C & D) are wireless to the
    WRT54G with WPA enabled [2]. Their IPs are assigned by the BEFSX41.

    There is an Inkjet 1100dtn with static IP hared wired to the WRT54G.

    The problem we are having is that the two 380s keep losing sight of other
    computers on the network, but still have access to the internet and to the
    1100 printer.

    The other 360 (computer B) does not have this problem, nor did the ME or 2K
    systems that the 360s replaced. This suggests that the problem lies with the
    380s.

    As an example, computer C (a 380) will print to computer A's shared printer
    for a couple of hours. Then for no reason computer C cannot print to A's
    shared printer, or even see A, B, or D on the network, but is still able to
    access the internet (travelling through both routers), and still able to
    access the network printer. A reboot is requried to see the computers on the
    network again.

    Any ideas? This is very frustrating!!!

    TIA
    Richard

    [1] Basically according to this article:
    http://www1.linksys.com/support/top1...20together.asp.
    We have had this config for almost a year with no problems related to it.

    [2] Adapters are WG111s, using Netgear's WPA client - we had too many
    problems with XP's WPA client dropping connections with Linksys' adapters
    because Linksys doesn't have their own client. This solved it.

  2. Re: Loses Connection to Other Computers, Internet Still OK : XP Pro

    "Richard" wrote in message
    > We have a configuration with four XP Pro office computers: 2 Dell
    > Precision 360s (computers A & B), 2 new Dell Precision 380s (computers C &
    > D) that replaced a WinME and a Win2K. This is in a Workgroup setting with
    > shared files and printers.
    >
    > Everything is behind a BEFSX41 firewall router connected to the DSL modem.
    > The BEFSX41 does DHCP for the network.
    >
    > Additionally we have a WRT54G wireless router acting as a Switch connected
    > to the BEFSX41. [1]
    >
    > One 360 (computer A) has a static IP and is hardwired to the BEFSX41 and
    > is sharing a Laserjet 2300.
    >
    > The other three computers (360, computer B; 380s, C & D) are wireless to
    > the WRT54G with WPA enabled [2]. Their IPs are assigned by the BEFSX41.
    >
    > There is an Inkjet 1100dtn with static IP hared wired to the WRT54G.
    >
    > The problem we are having is that the two 380s keep losing sight of other
    > computers on the network, but still have access to the internet and to the
    > 1100 printer.
    >
    > The other 360 (computer B) does not have this problem, nor did the ME or
    > 2K systems that the 360s replaced. This suggests that the problem lies
    > with the 380s.
    >
    > As an example, computer C (a 380) will print to computer A's shared
    > printer for a couple of hours. Then for no reason computer C cannot print
    > to A's shared printer, or even see A, B, or D on the network, but is still
    > able to access the internet (travelling through both routers), and still
    > able to access the network printer. A reboot is requried to see the
    > computers on the network again.
    >
    > Any ideas? This is very frustrating!!!
    >
    > TIA
    > Richard

    > [1] Basically according to this article:
    > http://www1.linksys.com/support/top1...20together.asp.
    > We have had this config for almost a year with no problems related to it.
    >
    > [2] Adapters are WG111s, using Netgear's WPA client - we had too many
    > problems with XP's WPA client dropping connections with Linksys' adapters
    > because Linksys doesn't have their own client. This solved it.

+ Reply to Thread