Cisco 6509 switch network connection labels - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Cisco 6509 switch network connection labels - Connectivity ; In our network of 20 schools, many of our network connections to our switches were never labeled. I am wondering if there is a device that I could connect to each cable and have it trace back to the individual ...

  1. Cisco 6509 switch network connection labels

    In our network of 20 schools, many of our network connections to our
    switches were never labeled. I am wondering if there is a device that
    I could connect to each cable and have it trace back to the individual
    PC's to retreive the NetBIOS names - we have named each machine
    according to the room it is in - this would allow me to then label
    where each cable/drop was in the building or at least narrow it down?
    Please reply to my email address. Thanks for any and all help!

    Lyle
    lyle82@msn.com

  2. Re: Cisco 6509 switch network connection labels

    ok first go to the script center on technet.microsoft.com, find or write a
    VBScript that will give you the workstations MAC address and Netbios names
    in a text file or spreadsheet..
    Then connect to the switch console in privledged mode and do a "sho cam" ( i
    think check www.cisco.com for the correct syntax or you switch OS version)
    that will give you the MAC addresses the switch shows connected to each
    port. with these two pices of info you should then be able to label all your
    ports.

    jwm

    "Lyle" wrote in message
    > In our network of 20 schools, many of our network connections to our
    > switches were never labeled. I am wondering if there is a device that
    > I could connect to each cable and have it trace back to the individual
    > PC's to retreive the NetBIOS names - we have named each machine
    > according to the room it is in - this would allow me to then label
    > where each cable/drop was in the building or at least narrow it down?
    > Please reply to my email address. Thanks for any and all help!
    >
    > Lyle
    > lyle82@msn.com

  3. Re: Cisco 6509 switch network connection labels

    goto
    http://www.windowsitpro.com/WindowsS...296/16296.html
    read the article, there's a link in there almost at the bottom to find the
    download of the tool described

    "jmills" wrote in message
    news:uwIhe.24288$eJ4.15943@bignews4.bellsouth.net. ..
    > ok first go to the script center on technet.microsoft.com, find or write
    > VBScript that will give you the workstations MAC address and Netbios names
    > in a text file or spreadsheet..
    > Then connect to the switch console in privledged mode and do a "sho cam"
    > ( i
    > think check www.cisco.com for the correct syntax or you switch OS version)
    > that will give you the MAC addresses the switch shows connected to each
    > port. with these two pices of info you should then be able to label all
    > your
    > ports.
    >
    > jwm
    >
    > "Lyle" wrote in message
    >> In our network of 20 schools, many of our network connections to our
    >> switches were never labeled. I am wondering if there is a device that
    >> I could connect to each cable and have it trace back to the individual
    >> PC's to retreive the NetBIOS names - we have named each machine
    >> according to the room it is in - this would allow me to then label
    >> where each cable/drop was in the building or at least narrow it down?
    >> Please reply to my email address. Thanks for any and all help!
    >>
    >> Lyle
    >> lyle82@msn.com

+ Reply to Thread