Problem trying to use a 5 port switch - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Problem trying to use a 5 port switch - Connectivity ; I have a 4 port router with cables to different rooms, each with a PC. I would like to be able to have more than 1 PC connected to a cable. I have put another router on the cable and ...

  1. Problem trying to use a 5 port switch

    I have a 4 port router with cables to different rooms, each with a PC. I
    would like to be able to have more than 1 PC connected to a cable. I have
    put another router on the cable and hung the 2 PCs off of that, but now
    they don't see the PCs on the other cables (still in same workgroup). So,
    I heard I can just put the network cable, and cables to each PC all into a
    switch. I have the Belkin 5 port Ethernet switch, but 1 PC never sees the
    connection, and the other is intermittent. I've tried all combinations of
    powering off and on, rebooting, etc. Is this supposed to be a simple
    method of expanding connectivity? The tech support person said to try to
    return/exchange it. Since I didn't try this right after purchasing, I've
    exceeded the time to return it. With the rebate, it was $5, so any
    warranty returns that involve shipping costs probably won't happen either.
    Anything else to try? Thanks.

  2. Re: Problem trying to use a 5 port switch

    "Gregory K. Deal" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.05.04.01.12.07.234000@localhost.localdomai n...
    >I have a 4 port router with cables to different rooms, each with a PC. I
    > would like to be able to have more than 1 PC connected to a cable. I have
    > put another router on the cable and hung the 2 PCs off of that, but now
    > they don't see the PCs on the other cables (still in same workgroup). So,
    > I heard I can just put the network cable, and cables to each PC all into a
    > switch. I have the Belkin 5 port Ethernet switch, but 1 PC never sees the
    > connection, and the other is intermittent. I've tried all combinations of
    > powering off and on, rebooting, etc. Is this supposed to be a simple
    > method of expanding connectivity? The tech support person said to try to
    > return/exchange it. Since I didn't try this right after purchasing, I've
    > exceeded the time to return it. With the rebate, it was $5, so any
    > warranty returns that involve shipping costs probably won't happen either.
    > Anything else to try? Thanks.

    1) connect the switch to a LAN port of the router, start from there to
    new/other pc's
    or
    2)connect a switch to a (any) wall socket of a cable coming from the router,
    plug in multiple pc's there
    (basically identical to 1)

    having multiple routers requires connecting one LAN of each to the next
    router

  3. Re: Problem trying to use a 5 port switch

    On Wed, 04 May 2005 16:38:01 +0000, Peterken wrote:

    > "Gregory K. Deal" wrote in message
    > newsan.2005.05.04.01.12.07.234000@localhost.localdomai n...
    >>I have a 4 port router with cables to different rooms, each with a PC. I
    >> would like to be able to have more than 1 PC connected to a cable. I have
    >> put another router on the cable and hung the 2 PCs off of that, but now
    >> they don't see the PCs on the other cables (still in same workgroup). So,
    >> I heard I can just put the network cable, and cables to each PC all into a
    >> switch. I have the Belkin 5 port Ethernet switch, but 1 PC never sees the
    >> connection, and the other is intermittent. I've tried all combinations of
    >> powering off and on, rebooting, etc. Is this supposed to be a simple
    >> method of expanding connectivity? The tech support person said to try to
    >> return/exchange it. Since I didn't try this right after purchasing, I've
    >> exceeded the time to return it. With the rebate, it was $5, so any
    >> warranty returns that involve shipping costs probably won't happen either.
    >> Anything else to try? Thanks.

    > 1) connect the switch to a LAN port of the router, start from there to
    > new/other pc's
    > or
    > 2)connect a switch to a (any) wall socket of a cable coming from the router,
    > plug in multiple pc's there
    > (basically identical to 1)
    >
    > having multiple routers requires connecting one LAN of each to the next
    > router

    Thanks, but that's what I've already tried, so it does seem that the
    switch is not working right. The only reason I'm trying to use the switch
    approach is that when I tried expanding connectivity by adding a router,
    all PCs now could not see each other. The new router's WAN input was
    connected to the current router's LAN output (that used to go to PC-1). I
    then connected PC-1 and PC-2 to the new router's LAN-1 and LAN-2. PC-1 can
    see PC-2, and PC-2 can see PC-1, but neither see any of the original PCs.
    Do I need to do something to the new router to have all PCs see each
    other. I've heard of "port forwarding", does that have any effect?

  4. Re: Problem trying to use a 5 port switch

    "Gregory K. Deal" wrote in message
    newsan.2005.05.05.00.49.32.453000@localhost.localdomai n...
    > On Wed, 04 May 2005 16:38:01 +0000, Peterken wrote:
    >

    >> "Gregory K. Deal" wrote in message
    >> newsan.2005.05.04.01.12.07.234000@localhost.localdomai n...
    >>>I have a 4 port router with cables to different rooms, each with a PC. I
    >>> would like to be able to have more than 1 PC connected to a cable. I
    >>> have
    >>> put another router on the cable and hung the 2 PCs off of that, but now
    >>> they don't see the PCs on the other cables (still in same workgroup).
    >>> So,
    >>> I heard I can just put the network cable, and cables to each PC all into
    >>> switch. I have the Belkin 5 port Ethernet switch, but 1 PC never sees
    >>> the
    >>> connection, and the other is intermittent. I've tried all combinations
    >>> of
    >>> powering off and on, rebooting, etc. Is this supposed to be a simple
    >>> method of expanding connectivity? The tech support person said to try
    >>> return/exchange it. Since I didn't try this right after purchasing, I've
    >>> exceeded the time to return it. With the rebate, it was $5, so any
    >>> warranty returns that involve shipping costs probably won't happen
    >>> either.
    >>> Anything else to try? Thanks.

    >> 1) connect the switch to a LAN port of the router, start from there to
    >> new/other pc's
    >> or
    >> 2)connect a switch to a (any) wall socket of a cable coming from the
    >> router,
    >> plug in multiple pc's there
    >> (basically identical to 1)
    >>
    >> having multiple routers requires connecting one LAN of each to the next
    >> router

    > Thanks, but that's what I've already tried, so it does seem that the
    > switch is not working right. The only reason I'm trying to use the switch
    > approach is that when I tried expanding connectivity by adding a router,
    > all PCs now could not see each other. The new router's WAN input was
    > connected to the current router's LAN output (that used to go to PC-1). I
    > then connected PC-1 and PC-2 to the new router's LAN-1 and LAN-2. PC-1 can
    > see PC-2, and PC-2 can see PC-1, but neither see any of the original PCs.
    > Do I need to do something to the new router to have all PCs see each
    > other. I've heard of "port forwarding", does that have any effect?

    - check if IP-addresses of all routers are in the same range (192.168.0.1,
    192.168.0.2,192.168.0.3,....)
    - check if DHCP-server of ONLY ONE router is enabled
    - connect first routers WAN to ISP modem
    - connect one LAN of first router (or wall socket ; is one cable) to one LAN
    of second router, don't use WAN of secondary router
    - set all PC's to "obtain IP automatically"
    - set all PC's to the same workgroup name
    - check on PC's if all addresses they obtain are in the range 192.168.0.x (x
    is usually 100-200, range set by configuring of DHCP server)
    NEVER connect WAN of second router to LAN of first router, it creates new
    subnets thus disabling PC's seeing each other

    Port forwarding *only* opens one single port, PC's have a variety of ports
    needed.

    *note: The addresses described as 192.168.0.x CAN be 10.0.0.x fo some types
    of routers, so justy substitute if necessary

+ Reply to Thread