WLAN slower than wired LAN? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on WLAN slower than wired LAN? - Connectivity ; Hello. I upgraded my home network from a typical LAN to a WLAN. Since then the transfers are much, much slower than before... my system consists of: an old AMD working as router and firewall and fileserver; it is connected ...

  1. WLAN slower than wired LAN?

    Hello.

    I upgraded my home network from a typical LAN to a WLAN. Since then the
    transfers are much, much slower than before...

    my system consists of:

    an old AMD working as router and firewall and fileserver; it is
    connected with the cable-internet (2 mbit) using a 10mbit card; and it
    is linked with a 10mbit card to the accesspoint (3com/57mbit)

    the other computers (all fast AMDs and Pentiums) are now mantained with
    wlan-cards (LinkSys/11mbit) to the ap.

    before the upgrade (i used the cheapest hub), i copied my data with 10
    mbit through my network and now i cant get more than 1mbit.

    my ap mantains NitroMode, but it makes no difference wether its on or off.

    does anyone know how to increase the rate?
    im usin WinXP, Win2000, and linux...
    no encryption is set....

    thx.

  2. Re: WLAN slower than wired LAN?

    WLAN usually IS slower as wired LAN
    check your WLAN bandwidth, compare it to your wired LAN speed
    (wired usually 10/100Mbit, WLAN usually 5-up Mbit)

    Verify if your WLAN encryption is on or not, slows things down too
    Verify what speed settings your WLAN is set to use as default
    Check your signal strength (most WLAN have an indicator)

    "meini" wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I upgraded my home network from a typical LAN to a WLAN. Since then the
    > transfers are much, much slower than before...
    >
    > my system consists of:
    >
    > an old AMD working as router and firewall and fileserver; it is connected
    > with the cable-internet (2 mbit) using a 10mbit card; and it is linked
    > with a 10mbit card to the accesspoint (3com/57mbit)
    >
    > the other computers (all fast AMDs and Pentiums) are now mantained with
    > wlan-cards (LinkSys/11mbit) to the ap.
    >
    > before the upgrade (i used the cheapest hub), i copied my data with 10
    > mbit through my network and now i cant get more than 1mbit.
    >
    > my ap mantains NitroMode, but it makes no difference wether its on or off.
    >
    > does anyone know how to increase the rate?
    > im usin WinXP, Win2000, and linux...
    > no encryption is set....
    >
    > thx.

  3. Re: WLAN slower than wired LAN?

    thx.

    i already checked out, that wlan doesnŽt pay. its insecure and slow; iŽm
    a litte bit disapointed...
    but on the other hand, i am a little MacGyver. iŽll try out some
    selfmade WiFi-antenas. lets see what the neighbourhood got ...

    Peterken wrote:
    > WLAN usually IS slower as wired LAN
    > check your WLAN bandwidth, compare it to your wired LAN speed
    > (wired usually 10/100Mbit, WLAN usually 5-up Mbit)
    >
    > Verify if your WLAN encryption is on or not, slows things down too
    > Verify what speed settings your WLAN is set to use as default
    > Check your signal strength (most WLAN have an indicator)
    >

    > "meini" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hello.
    >>
    >>I upgraded my home network from a typical LAN to a WLAN. Since then the
    >>transfers are much, much slower than before...
    >>
    >>my system consists of:
    >>
    >>an old AMD working as router and firewall and fileserver; it is connected
    >>with the cable-internet (2 mbit) using a 10mbit card; and it is linked
    >>with a 10mbit card to the accesspoint (3com/57mbit)
    >>
    >>the other computers (all fast AMDs and Pentiums) are now mantained with
    >>wlan-cards (LinkSys/11mbit) to the ap.
    >>
    >>before the upgrade (i used the cheapest hub), i copied my data with 10
    >>mbit through my network and now i cant get more than 1mbit.
    >>
    >>my ap mantains NitroMode, but it makes no difference wether its on or off.
    >>
    >>does anyone know how to increase the rate?
    >>im usin WinXP, Win2000, and linux...
    >>no encryption is set....
    >>
    >>thx.

  4. Re: WLAN slower than wired LAN?

    Better is to use wired LAN as default "fast" connection (10/100/1000Mbit)
    Then add a small WLAN router/switch for "loose and mobile" setups, knowing
    they are slower, but maybe handy sometimes
    (You might even plugin the wireless in a wired ports wall socket)
    This way you can cover all your needs, and have "mobile" WLAN everywhere you
    need it nearby

    "meini" wrote in message
    > thx.
    >
    > i already checked out, that wlan doesnŽt pay. its insecure and slow; iŽm a
    > litte bit disapointed...
    > but on the other hand, i am a little MacGyver. iŽll try out some selfmade
    > WiFi-antenas. lets see what the neighbourhood got ...
    >

    > Peterken wrote:
    >> WLAN usually IS slower as wired LAN
    >> check your WLAN bandwidth, compare it to your wired LAN speed
    >> (wired usually 10/100Mbit, WLAN usually 5-up Mbit)
    >>
    >> Verify if your WLAN encryption is on or not, slows things down too
    >> Verify what speed settings your WLAN is set to use as default
    >> Check your signal strength (most WLAN have an indicator)
    >>

    >> "meini" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>Hello.
    >>>
    >>>I upgraded my home network from a typical LAN to a WLAN. Since then the
    >>>transfers are much, much slower than before...
    >>>
    >>>my system consists of:
    >>>
    >>>an old AMD working as router and firewall and fileserver; it is connected
    >>>with the cable-internet (2 mbit) using a 10mbit card; and it is linked
    >>>with a 10mbit card to the accesspoint (3com/57mbit)
    >>>
    >>>the other computers (all fast AMDs and Pentiums) are now mantained with
    >>>wlan-cards (LinkSys/11mbit) to the ap.
    >>>
    >>>before the upgrade (i used the cheapest hub), i copied my data with 10
    >>>mbit through my network and now i cant get more than 1mbit.
    >>>
    >>>my ap mantains NitroMode, but it makes no difference wether its on or
    >>>off.
    >>>
    >>>does anyone know how to increase the rate?
    >>>im usin WinXP, Win2000, and linux...
    >>>no encryption is set....
    >>>
    >>>thx.

  5. Re: ....

    Thats what i did. i connected my ap with my switch. it works fine....

    thanks for your chat.
    i think i close this topic an turn to an other: port-forwarding;
    do you have any idea how to open a special port (or range of ports) on a
    single computer (ip: 192.168.0.99) in my lan? im using ip-tables on a
    linux firewall and my girlfriend needs an open port for online-gaming...
    i found some suggestions for fixed ips form the outside but i need a
    rule that anyone from the internet can connect to 192.168.0.99:7777
    i guess its a bit tricky .... maybe i try a reverse-proxy.

    c u,
    meini.

    Peterken wrote:

    > Better is to use wired LAN as default "fast" connection (10/100/1000Mbit)
    > Then add a small WLAN router/switch for "loose and mobile" setups, knowing
    > they are slower, but maybe handy sometimes
    > (You might even plugin the wireless in a wired ports wall socket)
    > This way you can cover all your needs, and have "mobile" WLAN everywhere you
    > need it nearby
    >

    > "meini" wrote in message
    >
    >>thx.
    >>
    >>i already checked out, that wlan doesnŽt pay. its insecure and slow; iŽm a
    >>litte bit disapointed...
    >>but on the other hand, i am a little MacGyver. iŽll try out some selfmade
    >>WiFi-antenas. lets see what the neighbourhood got ...
    >>

    >>Peterken wrote:
    >>
    >>>WLAN usually IS slower as wired LAN
    >>>check your WLAN bandwidth, compare it to your wired LAN speed
    >>>(wired usually 10/100Mbit, WLAN usually 5-up Mbit)
    >>>
    >>>Verify if your WLAN encryption is on or not, slows things down too
    >>>Verify what speed settings your WLAN is set to use as default
    >>>Check your signal strength (most WLAN have an indicator)
    >>>

    >>>"meini" wrote in message

  6. Re: ....

    Well, don't really know for linux

    Might try your luck at http://www.portforwarding.com for router configs on
    port forwarding

    I know in Windows Firewall it's :
    start-control panel-windows firewall-add port

    For other firewalls.... check it's documentation
    (for example in Sygate Firewall it's under "advanced rules")

    Port forwarding is usually done by indicating an external IP : port and
    directing it towards an internal IP : port
    (eg: 165.12-111.54 : 52879 to 192.168.0.x : 8081 )

    If *anyone* from the outside must have access then try to find something
    like DMZ (demilitarized zone, exposes one single internal IP) or "virtual
    server" (uses one internal IP as server towards the outside)

    For reverse-proxy : I think it's a bit too far searched for, but :
    Pound seems ok ( http://www.apsis.ch/pound/)
    So does @32 (http://www.at32.com/doc/rproxy.htm)

    "meini" wrote in message
    > Thats what i did. i connected my ap with my switch. it works fine....
    >
    > thanks for your chat.
    > i think i close this topic an turn to an other: port-forwarding;
    > do you have any idea how to open a special port (or range of ports) on a
    > single computer (ip: 192.168.0.99) in my lan? im using ip-tables on a
    > linux firewall and my girlfriend needs an open port for online-gaming...
    > i found some suggestions for fixed ips form the outside but i need a rule
    > that anyone from the internet can connect to 192.168.0.99:7777
    > i guess its a bit tricky .... maybe i try a reverse-proxy.
    >
    > c u,
    > meini.
    >
    > Peterken wrote:
    >
    >> Better is to use wired LAN as default "fast" connection (10/100/1000Mbit)
    >> Then add a small WLAN router/switch for "loose and mobile" setups,
    >> knowing they are slower, but maybe handy sometimes
    >> (You might even plugin the wireless in a wired ports wall socket)
    >> This way you can cover all your needs, and have "mobile" WLAN everywhere
    >> you need it nearby
    >>

    >> "meini" wrote in message
    >>
    >>>thx.
    >>>
    >>>i already checked out, that wlan doesnŽt pay. its insecure and slow; iŽm
    >>>a litte bit disapointed...
    >>>but on the other hand, i am a little MacGyver. iŽll try out some selfmade
    >>>WiFi-antenas. lets see what the neighbourhood got ...

  7. Re: WLAN slower than wired LAN?

    Of course its slower

    Wireless is not only slower, it's not capable of duplexing data transfers.

    If you've got a program that requires constant network access - Like MYOB
    premier, it'll conk out constantly

    Wireless is great when used in conjunction with a cabled network. Or when
    you don't require much bandwidth. I use wireless all the time at home just
    for surfing the net. Its a cheap alternative to having your office fitted
    by a data cabler.

    "meini" wrote in message
    > Hello.
    >
    > I upgraded my home network from a typical LAN to a WLAN. Since then the
    > transfers are much, much slower than before...
    >
    > my system consists of:
    >
    > an old AMD working as router and firewall and fileserver; it is connected
    > with the cable-internet (2 mbit) using a 10mbit card; and it is linked
    > with a 10mbit card to the accesspoint (3com/57mbit)
    >
    > the other computers (all fast AMDs and Pentiums) are now mantained with
    > wlan-cards (LinkSys/11mbit) to the ap.
    >
    > before the upgrade (i used the cheapest hub), i copied my data with 10
    > mbit through my network and now i cant get more than 1mbit.
    >
    > my ap mantains NitroMode, but it makes no difference wether its on or off.
    >
    > does anyone know how to increase the rate?
    > im usin WinXP, Win2000, and linux...
    > no encryption is set....
    >
    > thx.

+ Reply to Thread