Problem with XP Home network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Problem with XP Home network - Connectivity ; Hi all, I'm running two Win XP Home machines. They both run over a network connected to a hub and a DSL router. Internet works fine, but however both PC's are in the same workgroup they can't see eachother. And ...

  1. Problem with XP Home network

    Hi all,

    I'm running two Win XP Home machines. They both run over a network connected
    to a hub and a DSL router.

    Internet works fine, but however both PC's are in the same workgroup they
    can't see eachother. And to make it a bit more mysterious, this doesn't
    happen all the time. Meaning that sometimes they are both there and
    sometimes they are not.
    On top none of the pc's can acces eachother. I got is working for about 3
    minutes, but then it just stopped. I tried about everything even giving them
    fixed IP adresses, didn't work.
    None of the machines have the SP 2 firewall running and no other firewall is
    active.

    Can somebody give me some tips on how to get this running.

    Kind Regards,

    Kevin

  2. Re: Problem with XP Home network

    Service Pack 2 will not make a differance to your network working or NOT.
    Would it is a good thing so i would get it installed anyway.

    1. make the ip of the router 192.168.0.1
    2. make computer A IP address of 192.168.0.2
    3. make Computer B IP address of 192.168.0.3
    4. make sure both are on the same workgroup
    5, Install these protocols on bothe machines( NWlink NetBios - NWLink
    IPX/SPX/NetBIOS - TCP/IP)
    6. also make sure you have File & print sharing on both
    7. Enter in the Default Gateway under the ip address as 192.168.0.1
    8. Get you DNS Settings from you ISP and enter them in Prefered DNS Server &
    Alternate DNS Server
    9. Also enter these DNS Setting to your Router
    10. Restart the router and all computers
    11. Share a Folder on each of the computers.

    This is all you need to do and everything will be fine

    need anymore Help email me Direct on colin1@ukgateway.net

    Kind Regards

    JaRgOn

    "Noiz" wrote in message
    > Hi all,
    >
    > I'm running two Win XP Home machines. They both run over a network
    > connected to a hub and a DSL router.
    >
    > Internet works fine, but however both PC's are in the same workgroup they
    > can't see eachother. And to make it a bit more mysterious, this doesn't
    > happen all the time. Meaning that sometimes they are both there and
    > sometimes they are not.
    > On top none of the pc's can acces eachother. I got is working for about 3
    > minutes, but then it just stopped. I tried about everything even giving
    > them fixed IP adresses, didn't work.
    > None of the machines have the SP 2 firewall running and no other firewall
    > is active.
    >
    > Can somebody give me some tips on how to get this running.
    >
    > Kind Regards,
    >
    > Kevin

  3. Re: Problem with XP Home network

    actually you have a problem with the windows browser service, your machines
    can't maintain a list of network names..( even though you only have 2
    machines, neither is actually maintaining a browse list.. thats why the
    machine won't show in network neighborhood. )

    try this from a command prompt on one machine "net view
    \\ip-address-of-other-machine" and see what returns.

    read this on the browser service..

    http://www.microsoft.com/technet/pro...671110e9f.mspx

    if the link get mangled go to technet.microsoft.com and search of "browser
    service" and read any of the how the browser service works articles or the
    intoduction to the browser service.

    and you only need tcp/ip as your network protocol...

    netbios is the worst idea M$ ever decided to rip off.

    jwm

    &
    > Alternate DNS Server
    > 9. Also enter these DNS Setting to your Router
    > 10. Restart the router and all computers
    > 11. Share a Folder on each of the computers.
    >
    > This is all you need to do and everything will be fine
    >
    > need anymore Help email me Direct on colin1@ukgateway.net
    >
    > Kind Regards
    >
    > JaRgOn
    >

    > "Noiz" wrote in message
    > > Hi all,
    > >
    > > I'm running two Win XP Home machines. They both run over a network
    > > connected to a hub and a DSL router.
    > >
    > > Internet works fine, but however both PC's are in the same workgroup

    they
    > > can't see eachother. And to make it a bit more mysterious, this doesn't
    > > happen all the time. Meaning that sometimes they are both there and
    > > sometimes they are not.
    > > On top none of the pc's can acces eachother. I got is working for about

    3
    > > minutes, but then it just stopped. I tried about everything even giving
    > > them fixed IP adresses, didn't work.
    > > None of the machines have the SP 2 firewall running and no other

    firewall
    > > is active.
    > >
    > > Can somebody give me some tips on how to get this running.
    > >
    > > Kind Regards,
    > >
    > > Kevin

+ Reply to Thread