Wireless Access Point Problem - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Wireless Access Point Problem - Connectivity ; My home network is setup this way: DSL Modem connects to the uplink port on my 3Com 8 port hub. 2 desktop computers connect to the hub and access the internet via the hub. The DSL modem is also the ...

  1. Wireless Access Point Problem

    My home network is setup this way:
    DSL Modem connects to the uplink port on my 3Com 8 port hub. 2 desktop
    computers connect to the hub and access the internet via the hub. The DSL
    modem is also the DHCP. I've just gotten a 3Com 11G Access Point. I've added
    it to the network on an open space on the hub and turned it on. I've set it
    up with a static IP. the DSL Modem is (192.168.1.254) and the Access Point
    is (192.168.1.1). The problem is that if I use the modem as the DHCP, any
    wireless device that tries to connect to the Access point can't because it
    can't get an IP address through the Access Point from the Modem. If I turn
    on DHCP on the Access Point, I can get an IP from the Access point. If I
    leave the DSL Modem's DHCP on I can see all the computers inside my network
    but only the wired computers can access the internet. Any idea on how to
    work both the Access Point and DSL Modem so that I can see all the computers
    inside my network and still access the internet from all computers, wired or
    wireless.

  2. Re: Wireless Access Point Problem

    Daniel Moree wrote:

    > My home network is setup this way:
    > DSL Modem connects to the uplink port on my 3Com 8 port hub. 2 desktop
    > computers connect to the hub and access the internet via the hub. The DSL
    > modem is also the DHCP. I've just gotten a 3Com 11G Access Point. I've added
    > it to the network on an open space on the hub and turned it on. I've set it
    > up with a static IP. the DSL Modem is (192.168.1.254) and the Access Point
    > is (192.168.1.1). The problem is that if I use the modem as the DHCP, any
    > wireless device that tries to connect to the Access point can't because it
    > can't get an IP address through the Access Point from the Modem. If I turn
    > on DHCP on the Access Point, I can get an IP from the Access point. If I
    > leave the DSL Modem's DHCP on I can see all the computers inside my network
    > but only the wired computers can access the internet. Any idea on how to
    > work both the Access Point and DSL Modem so that I can see all the computers
    > inside my network and still access the internet from all computers, wired or
    > wireless.

    I have a similar configuration.
    If all is normal, the AP simply acts as an wireless extension of your hub.
    Do not use DHCP. Fixed IP adresses are safer, because with DHCP anybody can
    sneak in your WLAN an gets an IP adress for free. Most AP's and wireless routers
    can filter IP and MAC adresses. Use also WEP.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl

  3. Re: Wireless Access Point Problem

    OK, got the same one from school and hooked it up. Works fine now. For some
    reason the one I have works great with anything from Windows XP SP1 and
    below but not SP2. Weird huh? But I'm sending this one back to CDW and
    changing it for another one.

+ Reply to Thread