Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem - Connectivity ; Hi, My setup is as follows: I am a computer musician and use a laptop (XP Home SP2) in conjunction with a desktop machine (XP Pro SP1) to make my music and I have developed a system using the network ...

  1. Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    Hi,

    My setup is as follows:
    I am a computer musician and use a laptop (XP Home SP2) in conjunction
    with a desktop machine (XP Pro SP1) to make my music and I have
    developed a system using the network to integrate the two machines.
    The network applications I run in this application are as follows:
    MaxiVista - allows the use of the laptop as a second monitor for the
    desktop machine
    Apulsoft Wormhole - a VST plugin (for use in eg. Cubase SX) which
    allows the transmission of digial audio across the network.
    The machines are connected using a standard network connection via a
    small switch, which is also connected to the internet via a firewalled
    router and thence a cable modem. The desktop machine uses Sygate
    Personal Firewall Free, and the laptop uses the XP Firewall.

    This system works fine using just a standard network connection as
    described above - but the standard network connection cannot carry
    enough audio channels for my needs.

    I am trying to directly connect the two computers using TCP/IP over
    firewire in addition to the CAT5 connection that already exists, with
    the intention of using the firewire connection solely for the
    streaming of multi-channel digital audio between the two computers. I
    have a CardBus firewire adaptor in the laptop and a PCI firewire card
    in the desktop connected with a high-quality cable.

    My problem is this:
    I have been struggling to configure the network connections so that
    each application uses only the connections I desire. I have set up
    the IP addresses of the firewire card in each machine as follows:
    Desktop - 10.0.0.1 (192.168.0.200 has also been tried)
    Laptop - 10.0.0.1 (192.168.0.201 has also been tried)
    I've tried multiple combinations of rules in the firewalls of both
    machines but to no avail. What seems to happen is that MaxiVista will
    always use the firewire connection if it is connected, but will not
    operate correctly (Viewer program running but inactive). Sygate does
    not seem capable of blocking MaxiVista from using the firewire
    connection - no matter what rules are in place. Wormhole allows you
    to specify IP addresses for remote machines so diverting its traffic
    to the FW connection is not a problem, but I really want to prevent
    all other network traffic (MaxiVista, internet and file sharing) from
    using the firewire connection.

    In addition, when trying to repair the firewire connections, XP tells
    me that it could not 'clear the ARP cache'. Is this significant?
    Also the firewire connection in the laptop also seems only to run at
    100Mbps while the desktop FW card is running at 400Mpbs.

    As you can no doubt gather I'm not any kind of networking expert Is
    what I'm trying to do feasible? What am i doing wrong? I've searched
    google extensively but have so far been unable to find anyone with a
    similar setup, so I'd be very grateful for any help that comes my way.

    Many thanks for your time,

    Colin

  2. Re: Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    the root of the problem I think is you are trying to make the xp machines
    act like real routers and create two links going the same place. the only
    way I think you could make this work is to setup multi link ppp and team the
    interfaces into a single virtual interface and then setup quality of service
    rules to route traffic over the correct interface. I don't know if XP
    supports it, advanced networking like this normally is only possible with
    windows server but I've not tried anything like this with windows server
    either. and it is hard enough to make real routers do multi-link ppp
    correctly sometimes, much less windows... I think this would also work, you
    only have the firewire connecting the two machines and internet connection
    sharing configured and enabled over that (firewire link) using the XP pro
    machine as your internet gateway connected to the cable modem/internet
    router..

    good luck
    jwm

    "Colin" wrote in message
    news:f4a94b54.0504041644.2dae575b@posting.google.c om...
> [...]
    > connection - no matter what rules are in place. Wormhole allows you
    > to specify IP addresses for remote machines so diverting its traffic
    > to the FW connection is not a problem, but I really want to prevent
    > all other network traffic (MaxiVista, internet and file sharing) from
    > using the firewire connection.
    >
    > In addition, when trying to repair the firewire connections, XP tells
    > me that it could not 'clear the ARP cache'. Is this significant?
    > Also the firewire connection in the laptop also seems only to run at
    > 100Mbps while the desktop FW card is running at 400Mpbs.
    >
    > As you can no doubt gather I'm not any kind of networking expert Is
    > what I'm trying to do feasible? What am i doing wrong? I've searched
    > google extensively but have so far been unable to find anyone with a
    > similar setup, so I'd be very grateful for any help that comes my way.

  3. Re: Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    Colin wrote:

> [...]
    > connection - no matter what rules are in place. Wormhole allows you
    > to specify IP addresses for remote machines so diverting its traffic
    > to the FW connection is not a problem, but I really want to prevent
    > all other network traffic (MaxiVista, internet and file sharing) from
    > using the firewire connection.
    >
    > In addition, when trying to repair the firewire connections, XP tells
    > me that it could not 'clear the ARP cache'. Is this significant?
    > Also the firewire connection in the laptop also seems only to run at
    > 100Mbps while the desktop FW card is running at 400Mpbs.
    >
    > As you can no doubt gather I'm not any kind of networking expert Is
    > what I'm trying to do feasible? What am i doing wrong? I've searched
    > google extensively but have so far been unable to find anyone with a
    > similar setup, so I'd be very grateful for any help that comes my way.

    I have done the same; the IP network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all
    machines; the IP addresses have the first 3 quads common (in my case
    10.0.0).
    I use it only incidentally when transferring a lot of data between a
    laptop and a PC and in that case I connect only the 1394 and switch off
    the Ethernet and that works fine.
    I suppose you can leave both interfaces connected and by setting a higher
    metric value for the Ethernet, data should be automatically routed via the
    1395, but I did not try that.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl

  4. Re: Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    "opa.piloot" wrote in message news:<425820F7.65F9FFF2@forget.it>...

    > I have done the same; the IP network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all
    > machines; the IP addresses have the first 3 quads common (in my case
    > 10.0.0).
    > I use it only incidentally when transferring a lot of data between a
    > laptop and a PC and in that case I connect only the 1394 and switch off
    > the Ethernet and that works fine.
    > I suppose you can leave both interfaces connected and by setting a higher
    > metric value for the Ethernet, data should be automatically routed via the
    > 1395, but I did not try that.

    Hi Bert, thanks very much for your reply.

    As I said, I am by no means any kind of networking expert, so I don't
    fully understand what you mean by 'metric' in this context. Could you
    please take the time to explain briefly? Where would I find this
    setting in my Windows network setup?

    Also, I think you slightly misunderstood what I am trying to achieve -
    I want to prevent all other applications from using the 1394
    connection, but if your advice regarding the metric works then it
    should make no difference, I guess.

    Many thanks,

    Colin

  5. Re: Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    Colin wrote:

    > "opa.piloot" wrote in message news:<425820F7.65F9FFF2@forget.it>...
    >

    > > I have done the same; the IP network mask is 255.255.255.0 on all
    > > machines; the IP addresses have the first 3 quads common (in my case
    > > 10.0.0).
    > > I use it only incidentally when transferring a lot of data between a
    > > laptop and a PC and in that case I connect only the 1394 and switch off
    > > the Ethernet and that works fine.
    > > I suppose you can leave both interfaces connected and by setting a higher
    > > metric value for the Ethernet, data should be automatically routed via the
    > > 1395, but I did not try that.

    > Hi Bert, thanks very much for your reply.
    >
    > As I said, I am by no means any kind of networking expert, so I don't
    > fully understand what you mean by 'metric' in this context. Could you
    > please take the time to explain briefly? Where would I find this
    > setting in my Windows network setup?
    >
    > Also, I think you slightly misunderstood what I am trying to achieve -
    > I want to prevent all other applications from using the 1394
    > connection, but if your advice regarding the metric works then it
    > should make no difference, I guess.
    >
    > Many thanks,
    >
    > Colin

    Hi Collin,

    You can't prevent an application not to use a specific network route, because that is the
    responsability of the network software itself and there is nothing wrong with that.
    The metric has to do with the cost of transmission via a specific network interface.
    You can specify that via
    Network connections / properties / XXX-connection / properties / Internet protocol /
    properties / advanced;
    then you can select between an automatic metric or an interface metric that you can choose
    freely.
    For XXX you must read LAN (Ethernet) or 1394.
    The idea is that the lower the cost of an interface is, the higher the probability that that
    interface is used.
    I think that you can try 10 for the LAN and 1 for 1394
    But, like I said, I have never tried it under Windows.
    Moreover, since I use a Dutch Windows XP version, I am not completely sure if the terminology
    is correct and there may be more differences if you use an other Windows version.
    This is about all the help I can give you.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl

  6. Re: Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    Ya'll,

    I believe the 'route' cmd command can be configured to allow a certain
    set of ip addresses to be forward thru a given NIC. I've used
    breakpoint-www.cenobix.com to tell me which NIC is being used for a
    given ip address.

    enjoy!
    netman

  7. Re: Combined Firewire & Ethernet networking problem

    jamesfin@yahoo.com wrote:

    > Ya'll,
    >
    > I believe the 'route' cmd command can be configured to allow a certain
    > set of ip addresses to be forward thru a given NIC. I've used
    > breakpoint-www.cenobix.com to tell me which NIC is being used for a
    > given ip address.
    >
    > enjoy!
    > netman

    True, but this only affects the physical route of data packets to a
    specific IP adress, the recipient is not affected.
    Moreover if the physical route is not available, another route is taken if
    available.
    As I said before, routing is a network responsability and cannot be used
    to associate a NIC to an application.
    If you change a route to a specific IP adress, the effect is the same for
    all applications using that IP address.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert