Remote Internet File Access/Networking Help - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Remote Internet File Access/Networking Help - Connectivity ; I know a little about home networking as I have 3 computers running off a wireless network but my brother rang me with a network request and I do not know what the best solution is. He runs a business ...

  1. Remote Internet File Access/Networking Help

    I know a little about home networking as I have 3 computers running off a
    wireless network but my brother rang me with a network request and I do not
    know what the best solution is.

    He runs a business from home, has 1 computer running Win XP Pro and a dialup
    modem 56K, he runs an accounting program called MYOB. (Manage Your Own
    Business, a very popular and largely distributed australian made program)

    He wants his secretary to be able to use her computer from her house to
    dialup and access the MYOB files, make any admendments, additions etc but
    the files to remain on his work computer at home. I think all the various
    work/business files are about 20MB is size.

    What is the best networking solution for this, he only runs a software
    firewall, I am yet to find out what operating system his secretary is
    running, but I suspect it will be an older version of windows, maybe 98,
    2000 or ME, hopefully XP

    I was hoping that I could install a copy of the program on the secretaries
    computer and then could create a networking folder/mapped folder in file
    explorer in the
    secretaries computer that would point to the appropriate folder on my
    brothers computer over the dialup internet, if this can be done? If this can
    be done how do I set up the allowance of an incomming connection on my
    brothers receiving computer?

    Some ideas I have thought about include, Do I use a webhosting feature?, or
    a VPN? or perhaps use MSN application sharing (which would obviate the need
    for a second software license) or use MSN remote computer access which I
    think would be far to slow.

    I look forward to any suggestions

    David

  2. Re: Remote Internet File Access/Networking Help

    Using dialup internet creates a big limitation on what you can do. You
    would probably have to use some remote access software like Symantec
    pcAnywhere, or the MSN remote access...but no matter what way you go,
    it will be slow due to the lack of bandwidth.

    "David" wrote in message news:<424df081$0$1862$5a62ac22@per-qv1-newsreader-01.iinet.net.au>...
    > I know a little about home networking as I have 3 computers running off a
    > wireless network but my brother rang me with a network request and I do not
    > know what the best solution is.
    >
    > He runs a business from home, has 1 computer running Win XP Pro and a dialup
    > modem 56K, he runs an accounting program called MYOB. (Manage Your Own
    > Business, a very popular and largely distributed australian made program)
    >
    > He wants his secretary to be able to use her computer from her house to
    > dialup and access the MYOB files, make any admendments, additions etc but
    > the files to remain on his work computer at home. I think all the various
    > work/business files are about 20MB is size.
    >
    > What is the best networking solution for this, he only runs a software
    > firewall, I am yet to find out what operating system his secretary is
    > running, but I suspect it will be an older version of windows, maybe 98,
    > 2000 or ME, hopefully XP
    >
    > I was hoping that I could install a copy of the program on the secretaries
    > computer and then could create a networking folder/mapped folder in file
    > explorer in the
    > secretaries computer that would point to the appropriate folder on my
    > brothers computer over the dialup internet, if this can be done? If this can
    > be done how do I set up the allowance of an incomming connection on my
    > brothers receiving computer?
    >
    > Some ideas I have thought about include, Do I use a webhosting feature?, or
    > a VPN? or perhaps use MSN application sharing (which would obviate the need
    > for a second software license) or use MSN remote computer access which I
    > think would be far to slow.
    >
    > I look forward to any suggestions
    >
    > David

+ Reply to Thread