2 routers in Win XP SP2 - Connectivity

This is a discussion on 2 routers in Win XP SP2 - Connectivity ; I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config : - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1) - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1) ...

  1. 2 routers in Win XP SP2

    I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :

    - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
    - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
    - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
    - From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
    This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on the
    DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of things
    like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so on...
    Just like in a "single router" network
    Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to control
    every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
    gateway-setting on the individual PCs)

    Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2

    I have still a question though:
    In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only ONE
    "internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO gateways
    (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).

    Did I do something wrong ?
    Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?

    love some feedback for this
    thanks

  2. Re: 2 routers in Win XP SP2

    "Peterken" wrote in message news:<_V%2e.51912$1j2.4105342@phobos.telenet-ops.be>...
    > I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :
    >
    > - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
    > - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
    > - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
    > - From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
    > This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on the
    > DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of things
    > like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so on...
    > Just like in a "single router" network
    > Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to control
    > every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
    > gateway-setting on the individual PCs)
    >
    > Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2
    >
    > I have still a question though:
    > In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only ONE
    > "internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO gateways
    > (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).
    >
    > Did I do something wrong ?
    > Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?
    >
    > love some feedback for this
    > thanks

    why would you want to set 2 different gateways on the same machine,
    when all your computers are on the same subnet?

  3. Re: 2 routers in Win XP SP2

    "Cam" wrote in message
    news:1271fbca.0504030109.76327d07@posting.google.c om...
    > "Peterken" wrote in message
    >> I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :
    >>
    >> - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
    >> - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
    >> - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
    >> - From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
    >> This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on
    >> the
    >> DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of
    >> things
    >> like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so on...
    >> Just like in a "single router" network
    >> Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to control
    >> every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
    >> gateway-setting on the individual PCs)
    >>
    >> Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2
    >>
    >> I have still a question though:
    >> In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only ONE
    >> "internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO gateways
    >> (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).
    >>
    >> Did I do something wrong ?
    >> Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?
    >>
    >> love some feedback for this
    >> thanks

    > why would you want to set 2 different gateways on the same machine,
    > when all your computers are on the same subnet?

    That's simple:
    - When having cofigured 2 gateways, I myself am not bound to a single
    gateway
    - If one of both is heavy loaded, the other can be used/switched to
    - That way I have the possibility of monitoring them without going through
    the web-access pages of the gateways (double click the icon next to clock)

    But that was not the question....
    Question was:
    Why do I see only ONE gateway in "My network places - properties", despite
    having two configured ?

    By the way, the gateways are now both rev D1 using same firmware.

  4. Re: 2 routers in Win XP SP2

    ok I think the correct answer is windows can only have one default gateway
    and setting a second gateway like the default gateway I think is ignored
    unless the first default gateway is in fact down and I'm sure you have to
    turn on "detect black hole routers" as an advanced tcp/ip setting to make
    mutiple gateways to the same network valid...( this might have to be added
    as a key in the registry ( I take no responsibility if you edit your
    registry and blow up your machine!! just like real microsoft support)) From
    a command prompt try a route -print and see what that says.

    jwm

    "Peterken" wrote in message

    > "Cam" wrote in message
    > news:1271fbca.0504030109.76327d07@posting.google.c om...
    > > "Peterken" wrote in message
    > >> I have 2 routers DLink DI604 in a specific config :
    > >>
    > >> - From cablemodem(ISP) to a 4-port switch Eminent
    > >> - From switch to one DI604 (rev D1, FW 3.09b1)
    > >> - From switch to the other DI604 (rev B2, FW 3.09b1)
    > >> - From both DI604 to an 8port switch DLink DES-1008D
    > >> This setup gives me 3 LAN free ports of each DI604 and 6 free ports on
    > >> the
    > >> DES-1008, so 12 free ports to connect PC's to AND the possibility of
    > >> things
    > >> like LAN-internal file-sharing, router-config from every PC and so

    on...
    > >> Just like in a "single router" network
    > >> Also this setup gets me 2 IP-addresses from ISP, and I am able to

    control
    > >> every router in settings for the users I routed through them (internet
    > >> gateway-setting on the individual PCs)
    > >>
    > >> Connected systems are all Win-XP SP2
    > >>
    > >> I have still a question though:
    > >> In "network connections" (my network places - properties) I see only

    ONE
    > >> "internet gateway", despite I have configured my own PC with TWO

    gateways
    > >> (192.168.0.1 and 192.168.0.2 for TCP/IP advanced settings ).
    > >>
    > >> Did I do something wrong ?
    > >> Or is it just that XP stops looking when it finds one gateway ?
    > >>
    > >> love some feedback for this
    > >> thanks

    > > why would you want to set 2 different gateways on the same machine,
    > > when all your computers are on the same subnet?

    > That's simple:
    > - When having cofigured 2 gateways, I myself am not bound to a single
    > gateway
    > - If one of both is heavy loaded, the other can be used/switched to
    > - That way I have the possibility of monitoring them without going through
    > the web-access pages of the gateways (double click the icon next to clock)
    >
    > But that was not the question....
    > Question was:
    > Why do I see only ONE gateway in "My network places - properties", despite
    > having two configured ?
    >
    > By the way, the gateways are now both rev D1 using same firmware.

+ Reply to Thread