CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router - Connectivity

This is a discussion on CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router - Connectivity ; This combination doesn't appear to work? The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to access the internet through ...

  1. CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    This combination doesn't appear to work?

    The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when I
    try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.

    Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    not possible?

  2. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    If the wireless router has Ethernet ports on it, connect the desktop to one
    of them. Be sure the network adaptor has tcp/ip installed and is set to
    obtain an ip address automatically ( it is probably already set this way)
    "ZionIFL" wrote in message
    > This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >
    > The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
    > I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    > access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    > connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >
    > Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    > not possible?

  3. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    "ZionIFL" wrote in message
    > This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >
    > The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
    > I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    > access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    > connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >
    > Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    > not possible?

    One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    "straight-through"....

  4. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    Peterken wrote:
    > "ZionIFL" wrote in message
    >> This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >>
    >> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however,
    >> when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop
    >> in order to access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it
    >> wont seem to connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >>
    >> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of
    >> setup not possible?
    >>

    > One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    > "straight-through"....

    Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is required.

  5. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    "Quaoar" wrote in message
    > Peterken wrote:
    >> "ZionIFL" wrote in message
    >>> This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >>>
    >>> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however,
    >>> when I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop
    >>> in order to access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it
    >>> wont seem to connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >>>
    >>> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of
    >>> setup not possible?
    >>>

    >> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    >> "straight-through"....

    > Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is required.

    depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not :-D

  6. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    The reason I dont simply move the desktop PC to plugin to the ethernet on
    the router is that the desktop cant quite be moved (it is used in a bedroom
    there FYI).

    How does one tell the difference between a 'normal' cable, and an ethernet
    one?

    "RBM" wrote in message
    > If the wireless router has Ethernet ports on it, connect the desktop to
    > one of them. Be sure the network adaptor has tcp/ip installed and is set
    > to obtain an ip address automatically ( it is probably already set this
    > way)
    > "ZionIFL" wrote in message
    >> This combination doesn't appear to work?
    >>
    >> The laptop is able to connect fine to the wireless router - however, when
    >> I try to connect a desktop PC via network cable to the laptop in order to
    >> access the internet through the ADSL wireless router, it wont seem to
    >> connect - or it gives me a limited connectivity warning.
    >>
    >> Has this something to do with IP address conflicts? Is this type of setup
    >> not possible?

  7. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    Sorry if I misunderstood but if you are referring to a crossover cable
    then this is for you...I believe they are both ethernet cables however
    a crossover is used to directly connect 2 ethernet cards together,
    without using a hub, router etc... The cables are turned vica versa at
    one end. This url should help

    http://www.perfectdrivers.com/howto/crossover.html

    Proph3t

  8. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    Peterken wrote:
    > "Quaoar" wrote in message
    >> Peterken wrote:
    >>> "ZionIFL" wrote in message

    >>> One possibility is you need a "crossed" cable instead of a
    >>> "straight-through"....

    >> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is
    >> required. Q

    > depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
    > :-D

    It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

  9. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    Wouldn't you have to turn on Internet connection sharing on the laptop also?

    "Quaoar" wrote in message
    > Peterken wrote:
    > > "Quaoar" wrote in message

    > >> Not "possibly", but "definitely" a crossover ethernet cable is
    > >> required. Q

    > > depending if the ports (at least one of them) is autosensing or not
    > > :-D

    > It's computer to computer via ethernet NICs.

  10. Re: CAT5 from Desktop to Laptop, Laptop to Wireless DSL router

    PhilG - I have done this but still to no avail...

    I am sure that I am not using a crossover cable...

    Will try this though!