Unable to connect to the net without Router - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Unable to connect to the net without Router - Connectivity ; bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked ok. I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, ...

  1. Unable to connect to the net without Router

    bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked ok.
    I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the
    router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, I get no
    connection (My PC is Wired into the router btw, not linked wirelessly). I
    tried making a new connection with the Windows XP Connection Wizard, but
    still nothing. Anybody able to help a poor confused newb?

  2. Re: Unable to connect to the net without Router

    Wal wrote:

    > bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked ok.
    > I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the
    > router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, I get no
    > connection (My PC is Wired into the router btw, not linked wirelessly). I
    > tried making a new connection with the Windows XP Connection Wizard, but
    > still nothing. Anybody able to help a poor confused newb?

    Make sure your network card does not have an internal IP specified.
    I'm guessing the cable modem has DHCP so you shouldn't have to specify
    anything in the network card.

    Also, I know with certain cable internet providers you need to push some
    sort of a re-sync buttton on the modem to aquire the new MAC address of
    the network card.

    --
    http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    way!

  3. Re: Unable to connect to the net without Router

    "Tom - www.tditcorp.com" wrote in message
    > Wal wrote:
    >
    >> bought a Linksys WRT54GS Wireless-G router, installed it and it worked
    >> ok.
    >> I need to remove it temporarily from my set up now, and when I remove the
    >> router from the loop, and connect my PC directly to my Cablemodem, I get
    >> no
    >> connection (My PC is Wired into the router btw, not linked wirelessly). I
    >> tried making a new connection with the Windows XP Connection Wizard, but
    >> still nothing. Anybody able to help a poor confused newb?
    >>

    > Make sure your network card does not have an internal IP specified.
    > I'm guessing the cable modem has DHCP so you shouldn't have to specify
    > anything in the network card.
    >
    > Also, I know with certain cable internet providers you need to push some
    > sort of a re-sync buttton on the modem to aquire the new MAC address of
    > the network card.
    >
    > --
    > http://www.tditcorp.com <-- keep your computer safe and secure the easy
    > way!

    yep, usually power-off cycle does the trick

+ Reply to Thread