Stupid Problem.. could you help me please - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Stupid Problem.. could you help me please - Connectivity ; Hi there, i have one pc and a laptop that i decides to network together , so i got a wireless pcmcia card for the laptop and a linksys AP, problem is when i try to connect them together i ...

  1. Stupid Problem.. could you help me please

    Hi there,

    i have one pc and a laptop that i decides to network together , so i
    got a wireless pcmcia card for the laptop and a linksys AP, problem is
    when i try to connect them together i keep getting an error something
    like this " \\patlap (Laptop Computer) is not accessible. You might not
    have permission to use this network resource. Contact admin of the
    server to find out if you have permissions."
    I have tried everything i know to sort the problem with no joy, i
    would appreciate any input from you guys regarding this problem. If you
    need anymore onfo please meassage me ok and thanks in advance

  2. Re: Stupid Problem.. could you help me please

    don't you just love windows networking..

    1. admin@computer1 is not the same as admin@computer2 they will have
    diffrent SID's ( security ID's ) pop open regedit and look at HKEY_USERS
    those long numbers are SID's for each LOCAL user.
    2. computers must be the same workgroup
    3 File and Print sharing must be enabled on the computer ( and adapter) you
    are trying to connect to
    4. If you are using NT or better you can use the /user parameter on your net
    use command ( from a command prompt type "net use * \\computer2\share
    /user:computer2\user password"
    5. if win ME or less you must be logged into windows with the same username
    on both machines.
    If all that fails. go to support.microsoft.com and search on the exact error
    you are getting ( error 5 access denied)

    jwm

    "Patrick Reynolds" wrote in message
    > Hi there,
    >

    > i have one pc and a laptop that i decides to network together , so i
    > got a wireless pcmcia card for the laptop and a linksys AP, problem is
    > when i try to connect them together i keep getting an error something
    > like this " \\patlap (Laptop Computer) is not accessible. You might not
    > have permission to use this network resource. Contact admin of the
    > server to find out if you have permissions."
    > I have tried everything i know to sort the problem with no joy, i
    > would appreciate any input from you guys regarding this problem. If you
    > need anymore onfo please meassage me ok and thanks in advance

  3. Re: Stupid Problem.. could you help me please

    jmills wrote:
    > don't you just love windows networking..
    >
    > 1. admin@computer1 is not the same as admin@computer2 they will have
    > diffrent SID's ( security ID's ) pop open regedit and look at HKEY_USERS
    > those long numbers are SID's for each LOCAL user.
    > 2. computers must be the same workgroup
    > 3 File and Print sharing must be enabled on the computer ( and adapter) you
    > are trying to connect to
    > 4. If you are using NT or better you can use the /user parameter on your net
    > use command ( from a command prompt type "net use * \\computer2\share
    > /user:computer2\user password"
    > 5. if win ME or less you must be logged into windows with the same username
    > on both machines.
    > If all that fails. go to support.microsoft.com and search on the exact error
    > you are getting ( error 5 access denied)
    >
    > jwm
    >
    > "Patrick Reynolds" wrote in message
    >
    >>Hi there,
    >>

    >>i have one pc and a laptop that i decides to network together , so i
    >>got a wireless pcmcia card for the laptop and a linksys AP, problem is
    >>when i try to connect them together i keep getting an error something
    >>like this " \\patlap (Laptop Computer) is not accessible. You might not
    >>have permission to use this network resource. Contact admin of the
    >>server to find out if you have permissions."
    >>I have tried everything i know to sort the problem with no joy, i
    >>would appreciate any input from you guys regarding this problem. If you
    >>need anymore onfo please meassage me ok and thanks in advance

    What OS are the two PC running?

    --
    Danny Kile
    Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
    Your cooperation is appreciated.

  4. Re: Stupid Problem.. could you help me please

    Danny Kile wrote:
    > jmills wrote:
    >
    >> don't you just love windows networking..
    >>
    >> 1. admin@computer1 is not the same as admin@computer2 they will have
    >> diffrent SID's ( security ID's ) pop open regedit and look at HKEY_USERS
    >> those long numbers are SID's for each LOCAL user.
    >> 2. computers must be the same workgroup
    >> 3 File and Print sharing must be enabled on the computer ( and
    >> adapter) you
    >> are trying to connect to
    >> 4. If you are using NT or better you can use the /user parameter on
    >> your net
    >> use command ( from a command prompt type "net use * \\computer2\share
    >> /user:computer2\user password"
    >> 5. if win ME or less you must be logged into windows with the same
    >> username
    >> on both machines.
    >> If all that fails. go to support.microsoft.com and search on the exact
    >> error
    >> you are getting ( error 5 access denied)
    >>
    >> jwm
    >>
    >> "Patrick Reynolds" wrote in message
    >>
    >>> Hi there,
    >>>

    >>> i have one pc and a laptop that i decides to network together , so i
    >>> got a wireless pcmcia card for the laptop and a linksys AP, problem is
    >>> when i try to connect them together i keep getting an error something
    >>> like this " \\patlap (Laptop Computer) is not accessible. You might not
    >>> have permission to use this network resource. Contact admin of the
    >>> server to find out if you have permissions."
    >>> I have tried everything i know to sort the problem with no joy, i
    >>> would appreciate any input from you guys regarding this problem. If you
    >>> need anymore onfo please meassage me ok and thanks in advance

    > What OS are the two PC running?

    I AM RUNNING WINXP SP2 ON BOTH MACHINES, I MIGHT ADD THE NETWORK WORKS
    FINE FROM THE DESKTOP PC TO THE LAPTOP, BUT THE LAPTOP GIVES ME THE
    ERROR I SPOKE ABOUT ABOVE

  5. Re: Stupid Problem.. could you help me please

    Patrick Reynolds wrote:
    > Danny Kile wrote:
    >
    >> jmills wrote:
    >>
    >>> don't you just love windows networking..
    >>>
    >>> 1. admin@computer1 is not the same as admin@computer2 they will have
    >>> diffrent SID's ( security ID's ) pop open regedit and look at HKEY_USERS
    >>> those long numbers are SID's for each LOCAL user.
    >>> 2. computers must be the same workgroup
    >>> 3 File and Print sharing must be enabled on the computer ( and
    >>> adapter) you
    >>> are trying to connect to
    >>> 4. If you are using NT or better you can use the /user parameter on
    >>> your net
    >>> use command ( from a command prompt type "net use * \\computer2\share
    >>> /user:computer2\user password"
    >>> 5. if win ME or less you must be logged into windows with the same
    >>> username
    >>> on both machines.
    >>> If all that fails. go to support.microsoft.com and search on the
    >>> exact error
    >>> you are getting ( error 5 access denied)
    >>>
    >>> jwm
    >>>
    >>> "Patrick Reynolds" wrote in message

    >> What OS are the two PC running?
    >>

    > I AM RUNNING WINXP SP2 ON BOTH MACHINES, I MIGHT ADD THE NETWORK WORKS
    > FINE FROM THE DESKTOP PC TO THE LAPTOP, BUT THE LAPTOP GIVES ME THE
    > ERROR I SPOKE ABOUT ABOVE

    Need more Info and could you please take the CAPS LOCK KEY Off,
    Thank you.

    Please provide ipconfig information for each computer, so we can
    diagnose your problems.

    Start - Run - "cmd" - Type "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt" into the
    command window. Open Notepad, make sure that Format - Word Wrap is NOT
    checked!, open file c:\ipconfig.txt, copy and paste entire contents into
    your next post.

    --
    Danny Kile
    Certified FCC, ISCET, A+ , Network+

    Please reply to the Newsgroup ONLY
    Your cooperation is appreciated.

  6. Re: Stupid Problem.. could you help me please

    Ah ha.

    Create user accounts that match on both machines and it will all be fine.

    > Danny Kile wrote:
    >> jmills wrote:
    >>
    >>> don't you just love windows networking..
    >>>
    >>> 1. admin@computer1 is not the same as admin@computer2 they will have
    >>> diffrent SID's ( security ID's ) pop open regedit and look at HKEY_USERS
    >>> those long numbers are SID's for each LOCAL user.
    >>> 2. computers must be the same workgroup
    >>> 3 File and Print sharing must be enabled on the computer ( and adapter)
    >>> you
    >>> are trying to connect to
    >>> 4. If you are using NT or better you can use the /user parameter on your
    >>> net
    >>> use command ( from a command prompt type "net use * \\computer2\share
    >>> /user:computer2\user password"
    >>> 5. if win ME or less you must be logged into windows with the same
    >>> username
    >>> on both machines.
    >>> If all that fails. go to support.microsoft.com and search on the exact
    >>> error
    >>> you are getting ( error 5 access denied)
    >>>
    >>> jwm
    >>>
    >>> "Patrick Reynolds" wrote in message

    >> What OS are the two PC running?
    >>

    > I AM RUNNING WINXP SP2 ON BOTH MACHINES, I MIGHT ADD THE NETWORK WORKS
    > FINE FROM THE DESKTOP PC TO THE LAPTOP, BUT THE LAPTOP GIVES ME THE ERROR
    > I SPOKE ABOUT ABOVE

  7. wide area network help

    can some one help me with the practicalities of setting up a wide are
    network including the cost please

  8. wide area network help

    can some one help me with the practicalities of setting up a wide are
    network including the cost please

  9. Re: wide area network help

    "kirsty2005" wrote in message news:...
    > can some one help me with the practicalities of setting up a wide are
    > network including the cost please

    umm. you would have to be more specific. ie, what is the purpose of
    the wan, are you willing to set it up yourself, etc.. There are lots
    of solutions for setting up a wan. go to google and search for setting
    up a VPN (virtual private network). this will give you an idea of what
    you would need to have/know in order to implement a wan.

+ Reply to Thread