Changed class-C in network now one system has problems - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Changed class-C in network now one system has problems - Connectivity ; I have a home network that's connected to the internet via DSL. I was using 192.168.2.x and have a need to change from this class-C to do some testing. I have about half a dozen devices so I figured it ...

  1. Changed class-C in network now one system has problems

    I have a home network that's connected to the internet via DSL. I was using
    192.168.2.x and have a need to change from this class-C to do some testing.
    I have about half a dozen devices so I figured it wouldn't be too tough but
    when I changed everything to use 192.168.5.x, all devices worked as expected
    except for one Win2k server. On that server, from a command prompt, I can
    ping everywhere, I can tracert everywhere and I can even see all my other
    devices from Windows Explorer. What I can't seem to do is telnet or web
    browse FROM that computer. I can telnet into it just fine, also. I
    originally thought that I messed up the DNS tables, and though I've gone
    back into them and double checked, I'm still not convinced it's not
    something there. All other computers and devices on the network are
    functioning just fine.

    I'm totally stumped on what to check next. There is another Win2k server
    sitting right next to this one and I'll be darned if I can find a difference
    between them so it's got to be something I'm not thinking of to check. They
    are both even plugged into the same hub. If I change one of the devices
    back to the 192.168.2.x and change the flakey server back, also, I can
    telnet into the device. How's THAT for a head scratcher?

    Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? Even obvious suggestions
    would be appreciated. TIA

    Woody

  2. Re: Changed class-C in network now one system has problems

    "BobW" wrote in message
    >I have a home network that's connected to the internet via DSL. I was
    >using
    > 192.168.2.x and have a need to change from this class-C to do some
    > testing.
    > I have about half a dozen devices so I figured it wouldn't be too tough
    > but
    > when I changed everything to use 192.168.5.x,

    That is still a class C network

    all devices worked as expected
    > except for one Win2k server. On that server, from a command prompt, I can
    > ping everywhere, I can tracert everywhere and I can even see all my other
    > devices from Windows Explorer. What I can't seem to do is telnet or web
    > browse FROM that computer

    Is this server running DHCP? Do you need to modify your router, dns
    settings?
    What I usually do is change the IP address, and set an alternate IP as the
    old address. So anything that still point to 192.168.2.1 will redirect to
    192.168.5.1

    .. I can telnet into it just fine, also. I
    > originally thought that I messed up the DNS tables, and though I've gone
    > back into them and double checked, I'm still not convinced it's not
    > something there. All other computers and devices on the network are
    > functioning just fine.
    >
    > I'm totally stumped on what to check next. There is another Win2k server
    > sitting right next to this one and I'll be darned if I can find a
    > difference
    > between them so it's got to be something I'm not thinking of to check.
    > They
    > are both even plugged into the same hub. If I change one of the devices
    > back to the 192.168.2.x and change the flakey server back, also, I can
    > telnet into the device. How's THAT for a head scratcher?
    >
    > Does anyone have any suggestions on what to check? Even obvious
    > suggestions
    > would be appreciated. TIA
    >
    > Woody

+ Reply to Thread