Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on? - Connectivity ; Hello folks, I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc is on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty reliable I guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate ...

  1. Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on?

    Hello folks,

    I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc is
    on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty reliable I
    guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all bloatware/spyware/adware
    etc... Escentially, there is "nothing" communicating over the net yet I
    always seem to get a small trickle of incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I
    use Adelphia cable if that matters.

    What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls etc.
    are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back and forth to
    Adelphia?

    thanks all,
    Sl

  2. Re: Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on?

    SL wrote:
    > Hello folks,
    >
    > I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc is
    > on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty reliable I
    > guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all bloatware/spyware/adware
    > etc... Escentially, there is "nothing" communicating over the net yet I
    > always seem to get a small trickle of incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I
    > use Adelphia cable if that matters.
    >
    > What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls etc.
    > are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back and forth to
    > Adelphia?
    >
    > thanks all,
    > Sl

    Yes, Even dial up modems do this, all do i suppose. I'm not exactly sure
    what it's doing with data, but I think something is happening from isp
    to the modem in all cases. I'm just not exactly sure what. Some isps
    ping randomly to see if someone has open ports or whatever like running
    servers and maybe the isp doesn't like servers, other times they monitor
    connections to make sure they're up and when one goes down they can then
    know about it faster. most likely it's people running port scans and
    hackers. i say this because pretty much on all networks everywhere all
    the time there is at least one guy out there port scanning to see what's
    open and so forth. i have a high end internet security appliance that in
    the log shows this activity constantly, so i told it not to show me in
    the log port scans and those types of info because it's being blocked
    and fills up the log tons. 99.9% what you are seeing is the same thing,
    just people online running port scans seeing what's out there and
    possibly some of them have wrong intentions with that.

    yer safe mostly so long as nothing is getting through your router.

  3. Re: Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on?

    Joe wrote:
    > SL wrote:
    >
    >> Hello folks,
    >>
    >> I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc
    >> is on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty
    >> reliable I guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all
    >> bloatware/spyware/adware etc... Escentially, there is "nothing"
    >> communicating over the net yet I always seem to get a small trickle of
    >> incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I use Adelphia cable if that matters.
    >>
    >> What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls
    >> etc. are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back
    >> and forth to Adelphia?
    >>
    >> thanks all,
    >> Sl
    >>

    > Yes, Even dial up modems do this, all do i suppose. I'm not exactly sure
    > what it's doing with data, but I think something is happening from isp
    > to the modem in all cases. I'm just not exactly sure what. Some isps
    > ping randomly to see if someone has open ports or whatever like running
    > servers and maybe the isp doesn't like servers, other times they monitor
    > connections to make sure they're up and when one goes down they can then
    > know about it faster. most likely it's people running port scans and
    > hackers. i say this because pretty much on all networks everywhere all
    > the time there is at least one guy out there port scanning to see what's
    > open and so forth. i have a high end internet security appliance that in
    > the log shows this activity constantly, so i told it not to show me in
    > the log port scans and those types of info because it's being blocked
    > and fills up the log tons. 99.9% what you are seeing is the same thing,
    > just people online running port scans seeing what's out there and
    > possibly some of them have wrong intentions with that.
    >
    > yer safe mostly so long as nothing is getting through your router.

    Port scans make sense to happen periodically but 30KB/sec is way to
    excessive for a mere port scan continously. I could understand that if
    it was temporary but you should NOT have 30KB of your bandwidth stolen
    like that. That said, I admit I don't know what might cause that.

  4. Re: Why do I seem to have traffic...nothings on?

    use a protocol analysis program and find out.. (www.ethereal.com) . my best
    guess is that you are seeing misconfigured windows machines doing netbios
    name broadcasts out to the net. and are you sure its really 30KB?
    jwm
    "mortalfunk" wrote in message
    > Joe wrote:
    > > SL wrote:
    > >
    > >> Hello folks,
    > >>
    > >> I have a simple cable modem > router > 2 pc's. Primarily, only one pc
    > >> is on. I use netstat live to monitor everything and its pretty
    > >> reliable I guess. But, I make my own pc's and eliminate all
    > >> bloatware/spyware/adware etc... Escentially, there is "nothing"
    > >> communicating over the net yet I always seem to get a small trickle of
    > >> incoming data at about 30 KB/sec. I use Adelphia cable if that

    matters.

    > >> What Im wondering is, what is communicating to do this? All firewalls
    > >> etc. are disabled. Is it simply communicating this small data back
    > >> and forth to Adelphia?
    > >>
    > >> thanks all,
    > >> Sl
    > >>

    > > Yes, Even dial up modems do this, all do i suppose. I'm not exactly sure
    > > what it's doing with data, but I think something is happening from isp
    > > to the modem in all cases. I'm just not exactly sure what. Some isps
    > > ping randomly to see if someone has open ports or whatever like running
    > > servers and maybe the isp doesn't like servers, other times they monitor
    > > connections to make sure they're up and when one goes down they can then
    > > know about it faster. most likely it's people running port scans and
    > > hackers. i say this because pretty much on all networks everywhere all
    > > the time there is at least one guy out there port scanning to see what's
    > > open and so forth. i have a high end internet security appliance that in
    > > the log shows this activity constantly, so i told it not to show me in
    > > the log port scans and those types of info because it's being blocked
    > > and fills up the log tons. 99.9% what you are seeing is the same thing,
    > > just people online running port scans seeing what's out there and
    > > possibly some of them have wrong intentions with that.
    > >
    > > yer safe mostly so long as nothing is getting through your router.

    > Port scans make sense to happen periodically but 30KB/sec is way to
    > excessive for a mere port scan continously. I could understand that if
    > it was temporary but you should NOT have 30KB of your bandwidth stolen
    > like that. That said, I admit I don't know what might cause that.

+ Reply to Thread