tcp/ip question - Connectivity

This is a discussion on tcp/ip question - Connectivity ; They say that tcp/ip (as opposed to udp/ip) is reliable and gaurrantees packet delivery to destination. But if some rounter along the way is too busy it drops packets and that is why sometimes we see a page not being ...

  1. tcp/ip question

    They say that tcp/ip (as opposed to udp/ip) is reliable and gaurrantees
    packet delivery to destination. But if some rounter along the way is too
    busy it drops packets and that is why sometimes we see a page not being
    loaded or a file being downloaded just stops in the middle and we end up
    retrying the action. So how can tcp claim that it *guarrantees* packets are
    delivered safely?

  2. Re: tcp/ip question

    blah wrote:

    > They say that tcp/ip (as opposed to udp/ip) is reliable and gaurrantees
    > packet delivery to destination. But if some rounter along the way is too
    > busy it drops packets and that is why sometimes we see a page not being
    > loaded or a file being downloaded just stops in the middle and we end up
    > retrying the action. So how can tcp claim that it *guarrantees* packets are
    > delivered safely?

    The TCP protocol requests to repeat transmission of any missing package.
    The effect is a slow-down, but the integrity of the data is not compromised.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert

    Mail via hccnet.nl