2 network routers - Connectivity

This is a discussion on 2 network routers - Connectivity ; I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all works fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router itself is 192.168.0.1. ...

  1. 2 network routers

    I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
    computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all works
    fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
    itself is 192.168.0.1.

    Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
    Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
    doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
    because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.

    Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can be
    used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on the
    other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do I
    need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
    address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the Linksys
    end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
    because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

  2. Re: 2 network routers

    Shabam wrote:
    > I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
    > computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all works
    > fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
    > itself is 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
    > Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
    > doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
    > because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.
    >
    > Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can be
    > used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on the
    > other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do I
    > need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
    > address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the Linksys
    > end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
    > because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

    you need to go in the linksys router and disable dhcp plus make the ip
    of the linksys in the same subnet as netgear. the netgear is 192.168.0.x
    you said? and linksys is always 192.168.1.1 by default. so what you do
    then is this.

    1: connect from netgear lan to linksys wan port.
    2: connect pc to linksys lan port.
    3: log into linksys by typing in 192.168.1.1 . if no connection at all
    then hook up linksys to computer only. nothing else in linksys lan.
    4: log into linksys and turn off dhcp.
    5: change default linksys ip to 192.168.0.5 or whatever.
    6: connect from netgear lan port to linksys wan port.
    7: connect computers to linksys lan.
    8: should be fine now. don't know 100%.

    if no work then you need to have linksys as first router and netgear as
    second. same thing happens here as above. only this time go modem to
    linksys wan port. lan port on linksys to wan port on netgear and yer
    fine. in linksys set it up as wanted, but again here, change netgear to
    same subnet as linksys so 192.168.1.x and turn off netgear dhcp probably.

    i don't have a clue if linksys voip would work behind the netgear but i
    doubt it. reason is same as parental control etc won't work in the
    linksys WRT54GS if it is second router. linksys says for their functions
    to work their routers have to be first one cus they don't do double
    natting or something.

  3. Re: 2 network routers

    You really shouldn't run two routers on your network. I would
    strongly recommend that you replace the Netgear with your Linksys and
    get yourself a small switch to give you the LAN ports you need.

    On Tue, 1 Mar 2005 19:36:58 -0800, "Shabam"
    wrote:

    >I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
    >computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all works
    >fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
    >itself is 192.168.0.1.
    >
    >Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
    >Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
    >doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
    >because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.
    >
    >Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can be
    >used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on the
    >other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do I
    >need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
    >address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the Linksys
    >end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
    >because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

  4. Re: 2 network routers

    wrote in message
    > You really shouldn't run two routers on your network. I would
    > strongly recommend that you replace the Netgear with your Linksys and
    > get yourself a small switch to give you the LAN ports you need.

    Mind explaining why?

  5. Re: 2 network routers

    "Shabam" wrote in message
    >I have cable connection and am using a Netgear router to connect multiple
    > computers for internet access. The router does this by NAT and it all
    > works
    > fine. All internal computers have 192.168.0.x addresses, and the router
    > itself is 192.168.0.1.
    >
    > Now, I'm trying to add a second router by Linksys. Doing this because
    > Vonage sent me one, and it includes a voip phone jack, which my Netgear
    > doesn't have. However I don't want to switch the Netgear for the Linksys
    > because the Linksys doesn't have enough LAN ports for my use.
    >
    > Therefore I'm trying to figure out how to chain them together so both can
    > be
    > used. I basically plugged in a cable from one of Netgear's ports and on
    > the
    > other end I plugged it in to the internet port of the Linksys router. Do
    > need to configure anything special on the Linksys side, such as the IP
    > address, gateway, etc? I'm not able to get to the internet from the
    > Linksys
    > end. Earlier today it worked, but I really don't know how that happened
    > because after I changed the IP it stopped working.

    Maybe try same setup as I did, see mailing of Apr 1st 05 subject "2 routers
    in Win XP SP2"
    And yes, get them on the same net/subnet by setting their LAN addresses all
    at 192.168.0.x or all at 192.168.1.x subnet 255.255.255.0

    Networking works fine with me, including internet-access, from whatever PC I
    connect.
    Only minor issue is "seeing" both routers as "internet gateway" in "My
    network places - properties", but that *might* be if XP stops looking for
    gateways if finding one.

+ Reply to Thread