how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router? - Connectivity ; Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to ...

  1. how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router?

    Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both
    of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an
    attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to mention
    sharing music and movie resources.

    What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to his
    broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
    signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to the
    WAN port of his router?

    If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but for
    now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network connection
    itself.

    Thanks in advance.

  2. Re: how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router?

    tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and both
    > of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses. In an
    > attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to mention
    > sharing music and movie resources.
    >
    > What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to his
    > broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
    > signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to the
    > WAN port of his router?
    >
    > If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but for
    > now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network connection
    > itself.
    >
    > Thanks in advance.

    How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal
    you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house. See
    if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.

    To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and then
    connect from the other house just like you do in your own house. that's
    the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do in
    your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services you
    want.

  3. Re: how do I share wireless internet with my neighbors router?

    We did try an initial strength test and it was very weak but we did see
    each other. Just needs a booster as you said so that much is not as
    much of a concern as the network logistics.

    But regarding the network logistics, not sure what you mean by "Just
    connect to his network same way you do in your own." If I understand
    you correctly, you mean that if he is the one providing the wireless
    network, I just need to connect my laptop (or wireless NIC of any sort)
    to his network wirelessly? If that's what you mean, I have several
    computers in my home already connected to my hub (6 to be exact) via
    ethernet so that would not be feasible. I need some way to "pump" his
    internet connection in to my router so I can distribute internet to my
    wired computers as I do now. The best way I can think of is
    wirelessly.

    Is this where a gateway would come in to play? I've seen devices as
    fry's that allows you to wirelessly hook up say an Xbox to a wireless
    lan. You just take a short ethernet cable and hook up the XBox to this
    "device" and you have wireless network. I was hoping I could use
    something like that.

    Joe wrote:
    > tommynospam@yahoo.com wrote:
    > > Me and a friend of mine live across the street from each other and

    both
    > > of us have our own broadband wireless network within our houses.

    In an
    > > attempt to save money, we would like to share broadband not to

    mention
    > > sharing music and movie resources.
    > >
    > > What is the best (and easiest) way to pipe my wireless signal in to

    his
    > > broadband router? First what would he need in order to capture the
    > > signal in a stand-alone fasion and can he pipe that directly in to

    the
    > > WAN port of his router?
    > >
    > > If we need a strength boost, I might get a parabolic antennae but

    for
    > > now, I just need to understand the logistics of the network

    connection
    > > itself.
    > >
    > > Thanks in advance.
    > >

    > How far are you 2 from each other? If to far for a good enough signal

    > you'll need a booster antenna to put like say on top of the house.

    See
    > if you can at least see each other now before doing anything else.
    >
    > To share access you just have one house as the wireless network and

    then
    > connect from the other house just like you do in your own house.

    that's
    > the easiest way and free. Just connect to his network same way you do

    in
    > your own. Then you'll be able to share the internet and all services

    you
    > want.

+ Reply to Thread