Re: Ping times on a router during a file transfer - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Re: Ping times on a router during a file transfer - Connectivity ; Richard Tocci wrote: > I am trying to troubleshoot a network issue with one of my clients > and I'm finding a very strange occurrence. > > The customer is complaining of slow performance and application > timeouts using a ...

  1. Re: Ping times on a router during a file transfer

    Richard Tocci wrote:
    > I am trying to troubleshoot a network issue with one of my clients
    > and I'm finding a very strange occurrence.
    >
    > The customer is complaining of slow performance and application
    > timeouts using a .NET application my company provides. During one
    > function of the application, there is a lot of data transfer to the
    > local workstation, cached on the local workstation, to fill in
    > WinForms that user uses to change or save information to the remote
    > database.
    >
    > During the initial data transfer, the customer reports that the
    > application seems to stop responding. The WinForm is on the
    > screen, but the mouse hourglasses and appears to be hung.
    >
    > When we try to do the same function on the same database from
    > another location, it works, completing in more time than we would
    > like it to complete, but it does finish. My developers are aware
    > of this problem, but that does not stop us from looking at the
    > apparent timeout issue.
    >
    > I've narrowed the problem to the ISP or the router. When we
    > connect directly to the router, circumventing the enterprise
    > firewall, the application acts the same way.
    >
    > To test the Internet issue, I remoted into a workstation and
    > initiated an FTP session. I downloaded a 53MB file to the
    > workstation and the ISP remoted into the router to monitor CPU
    > usage, memory usage, and other parameters. The file downloaded in
    > about 4 minutes with no interruptions that I could see. The ISP
    > tech reported no unusual problems.
    >
    > I began the transfer again and pinged the router. My ping times
    > were 250-400ms. This is not a good amount of time to me, so I
    > stopped the FTP and pinged the router again. This time, my ping
    > times were 40-60ms.
    >
    > I did this back and forth, and I consistently got bad results
    > during FTP and good results without the FTP.
    >
    > I had the ISP tech repeat my tests as I started and stopped the
    > FTP. He pinged other locations and got similar results.
    >
    > The router is a Cisco 2600 series router. It services about 30
    > users in this customer's office.
    >
    > What can cause a router to delay a ping request for such a long
    > period of time during a file transfer? I've repeated this
    > experiment on other customers and did not receive these results;
    > ping times remained the same during and outside of the FTP session.
    >
    > Please email me at rtocci@amsworld.com as well as responding to
    > this post. Thank you for your help.

    Posting HTML in newsgroups is frowned upon.

    --

    Travis in Shoreline Washington

  2. Re: Ping times on a router during a file transfer

    Sorry about that. Let me repost the question in text format.

    --
    Richard Tocci
    College Station, TX

    All inbound and outbound e-mails are scanned for viruses. I probably did
    not send you a virus, but if you receive an e-mail with a virus from me, let
    me know.

+ Reply to Thread