2 computers cant see each other in the same workgroup - Connectivity

This is a discussion on 2 computers cant see each other in the same workgroup - Connectivity ; Comcast modem to Linksys WirelessB router. Hardwire router to desktop. Wireless router to laptop. Both computers can see the internet, but cannot see each other. It WAS working - till the laptop couldn't print to the desktop's printers. Variable/change unknown. ...

  1. 2 computers cant see each other in the same workgroup

    Comcast modem to Linksys WirelessB router. Hardwire router to desktop.
    Wireless router to laptop. Both computers can see the internet, but cannot
    see each other. It WAS working - till the laptop couldn't print to the
    desktop's printers. Variable/change unknown.

    After some poking, prodding and swearing, I realized that the laptop was no
    longer connecting to MY wireless router (modified SSID), but had found
    another wireless in the area (generic SSID). The only way that I could
    successfully keep it on my wireless with an IP address of my choosing was to
    change it from DHCP to Static. It was always dynamic in the past, but this
    is fine.

    So now I have both computers connecting to the same router using the same
    workgroup, but cannot PING each other nor can see each other in "view
    workgroup Computers"

    Thoughts?

  2. Re: 2 computers cant see each other in the same workgroup

    Let me add that both computers are running WinXP Pro w/ SP2. When stepping
    through the "set up a home network" I tell it to turn on File/print sharing,
    but I do not see the actual Service as I thoguht I had in previous versions
    of Windows.

    "Alan" wrote in message
    > Comcast modem to Linksys WirelessB router. Hardwire router to desktop.
    > Wireless router to laptop. Both computers can see the internet, but
    > cannot see each other. It WAS working - till the laptop couldn't print to
    > the desktop's printers. Variable/change unknown.
    >
    > After some poking, prodding and swearing, I realized that the laptop was
    > no longer connecting to MY wireless router (modified SSID), but had found
    > another wireless in the area (generic SSID). The only way that I could
    > successfully keep it on my wireless with an IP address of my choosing was
    > to change it from DHCP to Static. It was always dynamic in the past, but
    > this is fine.
    >
    > So now I have both computers connecting to the same router using the same
    > workgroup, but cannot PING each other nor can see each other in "view
    > workgroup Computers"
    >
    > Thoughts?

  3. Re: 2 computers cant see each other in the same workgroup

    Dear Alan,

    This is usualy caused by a firewall not being set up correctly. If you
    don't (know that you) have a firewall, the problem may be caused by the
    Windows internal firewall (that comes with SP2).

    First, to test if this really is the problem, try disabling the
    firewalls on both computers, restart them and check if they can see
    each other.

    To disable the Windows internal firewall you can open the Windows
    Security Center (in the Control Panel) and click Windows Firewall in
    the lower part of the window. On the General tab you can then click
    "Turn Off (Not Recommended)".

    If the two computers still can't see each other, you may have a
    different problem. But if they can, you must configure your firewall
    for File/Printer Sharing.

    If you use the Windows internal firewall this can be done by opening
    the Windows Firewall settings window (as described above). You must
    then click the Exceptions tab, and make sure that File and Printer
    Sharing is checked.

    Hope this helps,

    Noam Nelke, Israel.

  4. Re: 2 computers cant see each other in the same workgroup

    I have McAfee Firewall on the desktop and Windows on the laptop. I ended up
    doing a system restore on both computers and got it working again. Yes -
    that is a form of cheating, but i got out of tech support for a reason
    Part of the issue was that when the laptop lost my Wireless, it found
    another one to latch onto (Unsecured Linksys) and in the process, I had
    discovered that my Workgroup name was just as generic as the other Wireless
    in the area, so despite the downtime, I know that I am slightly more secure.

    Thank you for your response.

    "Noam Nelke" wrote in message
    news:1108544446.154267.80980@z14g2000cwz.googlegro ups.com...
    > Dear Alan,
    >
    > This is usualy caused by a firewall not being set up correctly. If you
    > don't (know that you) have a firewall, the problem may be caused by the
    > Windows internal firewall (that comes with SP2).
    >
    > First, to test if this really is the problem, try disabling the
    > firewalls on both computers, restart them and check if they can see
    > each other.
    >
    > To disable the Windows internal firewall you can open the Windows
    > Security Center (in the Control Panel) and click Windows Firewall in
    > the lower part of the window. On the General tab you can then click
    > "Turn Off (Not Recommended)".
    >
    > If the two computers still can't see each other, you may have a
    > different problem. But if they can, you must configure your firewall
    > for File/Printer Sharing.
    >
    > If you use the Windows internal firewall this can be done by opening
    > the Windows Firewall settings window (as described above). You must
    > then click the Exceptions tab, and make sure that File and Printer
    > Sharing is checked.
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Noam Nelke, Israel.

+ Reply to Thread