Asking a webpage from a homenetwork - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Asking a webpage from a homenetwork - Connectivity ; Hello everybody, I am just a junior programmer and I hope I am asking my question on the right newsgroup... At home I have two computers which are connected to the WAN by a router. The router (which is the ...

  1. Asking a webpage from a homenetwork

    Hello everybody,

    I am just a junior programmer and I hope I am asking my question on the
    right newsgroup...
    At home I have two computers which are connected to the WAN by a router. The
    router (which is the DHCP server) gives this two computers always the same
    IP. So these IP's the router is giving, are not unique in the world, they
    are just unique in my home network. The only unique IP is the IP from the
    router which is connected to the WAN.
    I made from one of my two computers a server and it is no problem for me to
    ask a certain webpage on the computer with the server with my other computer
    (which lays in the same home network). Indeed in my home network the two
    computers have a unique IP, so I can just ask a certain webpage by the
    following: "http://IPotherPCofHomeNetwork/directoryServer/certainWebpage".
    Now, my question is: How can I ask the same wesbpage on my homecomputer if
    I ask this webpage from another computer outside my homenetwork ??? Is this
    something like the following: "http://IProuterConnectedWithWAN/...

    Please, can anybody help me??? I am getting crazy of it ??
    Many Thanks,
    Steven.

  2. Re: Asking a webpage from a homenetwork

    Steven Somers wrote:

    > Hello everybody,
    >
    > I am just a junior programmer and I hope I am asking my question on the
    > right newsgroup...
    > At home I have two computers which are connected to the WAN by a router. The
    > router (which is the DHCP server) gives this two computers always the same
    > IP. So these IP's the router is giving, are not unique in the world, they
    > are just unique in my home network. The only unique IP is the IP from the
    > router which is connected to the WAN.
    > I made from one of my two computers a server and it is no problem for me to
    > ask a certain webpage on the computer with the server with my other computer
    > (which lays in the same home network). Indeed in my home network the two
    > computers have a unique IP, so I can just ask a certain webpage by the
    > following: "http://IPotherPCofHomeNetwork/directoryServer/certainWebpage".
    > Now, my question is: How can I ask the same wesbpage on my homecomputer if
    > I ask this webpage from another computer outside my homenetwork ??? Is this
    > something like the following: "http://IProuterConnectedWithWAN/...
    >
    > Please, can anybody help me??? I am getting crazy of it ??
    > Many Thanks,
    > Steven.

    You must tell your router that it must forward any HTML request to your HTTP
    server PC.
    Something like
    create protocol=TCP inside address=10.0.0.190:80 outside
    address=62.251.10.121:80
    where you must replace 10.0.0.190 with the LAN IP address of your server PC and
    62.251.10.121 with the IP address you obtained from your ISP.
    Study the manual of your router for details.

    From a PC outside your LAN your server is accessed by
    http://IP-address-you-obtained-from-your-ISP
    (the browser assumes that there is a file index.html)
    You can only use a name if it is registered to correspond with the IP address
    you obtained from your ISP.

    It is a good idea to give your PCs a static IP address instead of leaving that
    to the DHCP server, because if it allocates a different IP address, things don't
    not work anymore.

    --
    Veel plezier / Have fun
    Bert