IPv6 and Symmetric NAT - Connectivity

This is a discussion on IPv6 and Symmetric NAT - Connectivity ; Hi, I use a Netgear WGR614 v3 Wireless Router. I'm happy with it, and it never caused me any problems. A few days ago I downloaded a program called ThreeDegrees. Apperantly it uses IPv6 Teredo. I've never heard of this ...

  1. IPv6 and Symmetric NAT

    Hi,

    I use a Netgear WGR614 v3 Wireless Router. I'm happy with it, and it
    never caused me any problems. A few days ago I downloaded a program
    called ThreeDegrees. Apperantly it uses IPv6 Teredo. I've never heard
    of this before, but since the program failed to work I learned a little
    bit about it.

    When I tried to troubleshoot it, I found an article that told me to run
    a command prompt and type:

    netsh interface ipv6 show teredo

    When I do this I get the following response:

    Teredo Parameters
    Type : client
    Server Name : default
    Client Refresh Interval : default
    Client Port : default
    State : offline
    Error : client behind symmetric NAT

    I've narrowed the problem down to my Netgear router. When I checked
    their web site it told me nothing about the problem or how to work
    around it. I tried downloading and installing a firmware update, but
    that didn't help.

    Any suggestions would be appriciated.

    Tahnks,

    Noam Nelke, Israel.

  2. Re: IPv6 and Symmetric NAT

    The Netgear router doesn't support IPv6. The "client behind symmetric
    NAT" error your seeing is exactly that, you are using Network Address
    Translation to access the internet through your router (IPv4). The
    router doesn't savvy IPv6 and so your IPv6 app won't work.

    On 11 Feb 2005 01:02:29 -0800, "Noam Nelke"
    wrote:

    >Hi,
    >
    >I use a Netgear WGR614 v3 Wireless Router. I'm happy with it, and it
    >never caused me any problems. A few days ago I downloaded a program
    >called ThreeDegrees. Apperantly it uses IPv6 Teredo. I've never heard
    >of this before, but since the program failed to work I learned a little
    >bit about it.
    >
    >When I tried to troubleshoot it, I found an article that told me to run
    >a command prompt and type:
    >
    >netsh interface ipv6 show teredo
    >
    >When I do this I get the following response:
    >
    >Teredo Parameters
    >Type : client
    >Server Name : default
    >Client Refresh Interval : default
    >Client Port : default
    >State : offline
    >Error : client behind symmetric NAT
    >
    >I've narrowed the problem down to my Netgear router. When I checked
    >their web site it told me nothing about the problem or how to work
    >around it. I tried downloading and installing a firmware update, but
    >that didn't help.
    >
    >Any suggestions would be appriciated.
    >
    >Tahnks,
    >
    >Noam Nelke, Israel.

  3. Re: IPv6 and Symmetric NAT

    This is soooooo frustrating...

    Is there really NOTHING I can do about it? I think NATs are ok, but
    Symetric NATs aren't supported. There's no way to change the type of
    NAT my router uses, right?

    What's the difference between the different types of NAT? And what's
    the advantage of a Symetric one?

    Thanks....

    Noam.

+ Reply to Thread