Help with access to shared files on Wife's PC - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Help with access to shared files on Wife's PC - Connectivity ; My PC is running XP Pro Wife's PC is running XP Home Problem: Prior to installing SP2 we were Networked just fine. After we installed XP SP2, I cannot access her drive_C at all and get the error - "Drive_C ...

  1. Help with access to shared files on Wife's PC

    My PC is running XP Pro
    Wife's PC is running XP Home

    Problem:
    Prior to installing SP2 we were Networked just fine. After we installed
    XP SP2,
    I cannot access her drive_C at all and get the error - "Drive_C (C) is
    not accessible.
    You might not have permission to use this network resource. Contact the
    administrator
    of this server."

    However, my wife's PC has full access to my drive_C with the exception
    of Program Files.

    Note:
    Each of our drives are shared.
    We both belong to MSHOME.
    This problem is the same w/wo Zone Alarm or Windows Firewall running.

  2. Re: Help with access to shared files on Wife's PC

    Dear Mr. Hunny,

    Not sure about this, but I would do the following:

    Run "Set up a home network" wizard again, and make sure File and
    Printer Sharing is enabled.

    Make sure the drive is still shared (by right clicking it and selecting
    Sharing and Security), and if it is, try to un-share it, and then
    re-share it. You can try to share it with a different name, so you can
    see if the new name even shows up on the other computer.

    You can try to click View Network Computers in My Network Places, and
    see if Mrs. Hunny's computer shows up there. If it doesn't, try to run
    a search for it. Just click the Search button on the toolbar.

    I would do all this with both firewalls disabled on both computers,
    just to make sure they don't interfere, and re-enable them after I see
    everything is working. If something THEN goes wrong you know who to
    blame. I've read that it's generaly not good to have two firewalls up
    at the same time - you should pick the one you think is better and turn
    the other one off (not temporarily).

    Hope this helps,

    Noam Nelke, Israel.

  3. Re: Help with access to shared files on Wife's PC

    Noam,

    Thanks for taking time to provide a straight forward approach to fix
    this file sharing problem. I was able to determine that the problem was
    caused by a ZoneAlarm control function on MrsHunny's PC. "Generic Host
    Processes for Win 32 Services" needed to to be CHECKED in the TRUSTED
    SERVER box. Thanks for taking time to help out.

    --MrHunny

    "Noam Nelke" wrote in message
    news:1108545346.815285.99470@f14g2000cwb.googlegro ups.com...
    > Dear Mr. Hunny,
    >
    > Not sure about this, but I would do the following:
    >
    > Run "Set up a home network" wizard again, and make sure File and
    > Printer Sharing is enabled.
    >
    > Make sure the drive is still shared (by right clicking it and
    > selecting
    > Sharing and Security), and if it is, try to un-share it, and then
    > re-share it. You can try to share it with a different name, so you can
    > see if the new name even shows up on the other computer.
    >
    > You can try to click View Network Computers in My Network Places, and
    > see if Mrs. Hunny's computer shows up there. If it doesn't, try to run
    > a search for it. Just click the Search button on the toolbar.
    >
    > I would do all this with both firewalls disabled on both computers,
    > just to make sure they don't interfere, and re-enable them after I see
    > everything is working. If something THEN goes wrong you know who to
    > blame. I've read that it's generaly not good to have two firewalls up
    > at the same time - you should pick the one you think is better and
    > turn
    > the other one off (not temporarily).
    >
    > Hope this helps,
    >
    > Noam Nelke, Israel.