web and fileserver - Connectivity

This is a discussion on web and fileserver - Connectivity ; Hallo, I have 2 pc on a little network behind a Linksys router (BEFSR41 V3). I would like to turn an old pentium 2 into a web, file and FTP server. (debian or maybe SME) Is it safe to have ...

  1. web and fileserver

    Hallo,

    I have 2 pc on a little network behind a Linksys router (BEFSR41 V3).
    I would like to turn an old pentium 2 into a web, file and FTP
    server. (debian or maybe SME)
    Is it safe to have a web, file and FTP server on the same pc?
    Is it safe to have behind my router or should it be in a DMZ zone?

    I hope you will help me :-)

    Thanks
    Gnutu

  2. Re: web and fileserver

    no@way.no wrote:
    > Hallo,
    >
    > I have 2 pc on a little network behind a Linksys router (BEFSR41 V3).
    > I would like to turn an old pentium 2 into a web, file and FTP
    > server. (debian or maybe SME)

    Nice.

    > Is it safe to have a web, file and FTP server on the same pc?

    In principle, yes. I have an old P200 running Debian doing just that on
    my DSL line. File serving (over samba) isn't public, obviously!

    > Is it safe to have behind my router or should it be in a DMZ zone?

    It would be better on a DMZ, but if you just want FTP and web access
    from outside, and you are not going to be doing anything very important
    that needs special protection on your LAN, then just port forward to
    that machine and you will be fine.

    Of course, you should keep the machine up to date with security patches
    and the like.

  3. Re: web and fileserver

    On Tue, 01 Feb 2005 22:50:33 +0000, Jonathan
    wrote:

    Thank you Jonathan :-)
    Right now I am dowloading MEPIS for my server.

    THANKS .

    >no@way.no wrote:
    >> Hallo,
    >>
    >> I have 2 pc on a little network behind a Linksys router (BEFSR41 V3).
    >> I would like to turn an old pentium 2 into a web, file and FTP
    >> server. (debian or maybe SME)

    >Nice.
    >
    >> Is it safe to have a web, file and FTP server on the same pc?

    >In principle, yes. I have an old P200 running Debian doing just that on
    >my DSL line. File serving (over samba) isn't public, obviously!
    >
    >> Is it safe to have behind my router or should it be in a DMZ zone?
    >>

    >It would be better on a DMZ, but if you just want FTP and web access
    >from outside, and you are not going to be doing anything very important
    >that needs special protection on your LAN, then just port forward to
    >that machine and you will be fine.
    >
    >Of course, you should keep the machine up to date with security patches
    >and the like.

+ Reply to Thread