remotely pinging a computer on my home network - Connectivity

This is a discussion on remotely pinging a computer on my home network - Connectivity ; I have a LAN whereby all the machines on the network are given generic 192.168.1.X addresses. How would one remotely access a machine on the LAN, if I know the WAN address of my router? Assuming my router has a ...

  1. remotely pinging a computer on my home network

    I have a LAN whereby all the machines on the network are given generic
    192.168.1.X addresses. How would one remotely access a machine on the LAN,
    if I know the WAN address of my router?

    Assuming my router has a WAN Y.Y.Y.Y and a machine connected to the home LAN
    has an address 192.168.1.X - I can ping my router by typing:

    ping Y.Y.Y.Y

    How would I ping the 192.168.1.X machine?

  2. Re: remotely pinging a computer on my home network

    Kwaj wrote:
    > I have a LAN whereby all the machines on the network are given generic
    > 192.168.1.X addresses. How would one remotely access a machine on the LAN,
    > if I know the WAN address of my router?

    You can't. Well, you could, but you'd wouldn't have a LAN, and you'd
    have literally the mother of all security problems.

    The point of a LAN is that you cannot see it from outside (the public,
    or wide area network). That's what "local" means in this context.

    There are ways of doing what you want without having all your machines
    turned into spam-sending zombies, but that involves fiddling with
    firewalls or setting up VPNs.

    Is that any help?

  3. Re: remotely pinging a computer on my home network

    Program a port on your router to forward to that machine.

    Thats' what you do with remote digital video monitoring, or something like
    PC anywhere.

    --
    ** Public Fishing and Boating Forums
    ** www.YumaBassMan.com

    "Kwaj" wrote in message
    > I have a LAN whereby all the machines on the network are given generic
    > 192.168.1.X addresses. How would one remotely access a machine on the LAN,
    > if I know the WAN address of my router?
    >
    > Assuming my router has a WAN Y.Y.Y.Y and a machine connected to the home

    LAN
    > has an address 192.168.1.X - I can ping my router by typing:
    >
    > ping Y.Y.Y.Y
    >
    > How would I ping the 192.168.1.X machine?

+ Reply to Thread