Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work? - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work? - Connectivity ; I created 2 CAT5 cables (one is about 200ft and the other 100ft) using cable from Surplus Computers ( www.surpluscomputers.com ). I have tried both cables in a number of various network configurations with no success. I set up a ...

  1. Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work?

    I created 2 CAT5 cables (one is about 200ft and the other 100ft) using cable
    from Surplus Computers (www.surpluscomputers.com). I have tried both cables
    in a number of various network configurations with no success. I set up a
    network using a store bought CAT5 cable which worked as expected. I replaced
    the store bought cable with my hand made cable. The green LED's on the cable
    modem glowed the same as when the store bought cable was installed; however,
    the computer could not access the internet. I reinstalled the store bought
    cable and everything worked again.

    I've tested the hand made cables using a data line tester. The tester did
    not indicate any problems. (The instructions for the tester were less than
    clear, but the hand made cable presented the same test results as the store
    bought cable.) The cable has stamped all along the outer insulation that it
    has been CAT5 certified. I sent Surplus Computers an email to verify they
    aren't having trouble with this product.

    Bottom line is that I can not find anything wrong with the cable except that
    it will not permit data transmission. Although I am by no means a
    professional, I've installed more than a couple of networks on my own, even
    to the point of creating the CAT5 cables by hand. I've never experienced
    anything like this. Could the cable be "bad" even though all the connections
    pass a dc voltage connection test? Is there way to test the cable to
    determine if it is not suitable for data transmission? (Without a great deal
    of expensive test equipment.)

    Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.

    --
    from
    Dave the wave~~~~~

  2. Re: Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work?

    If you have them wired similar as below then I would think it should
    work

    Pair 1 is the blue pair, 2 is orange, 3 is green, and four is brown.
    (standard)

    Only pair 3 (green, on pins 1 and 2), and pair 2 (orange, on pins 3
    and 6) are actually used.

    "Dave the wave" wrote in message

    > I created 2 CAT5 cables (one is about 200ft and the other 100ft)

    using cable
    > from Surplus Computers (www.surpluscomputers.com). I have tried both

    cables
    > in a number of various network configurations with no success. I set

    up a
    > network using a store bought CAT5 cable which worked as expected. I

    replaced
    > the store bought cable with my hand made cable. The green LED's on

    the cable
    > modem glowed the same as when the store bought cable was installed;

    however,
    > the computer could not access the internet. I reinstalled the store

    bought
    > cable and everything worked again.
    >
    > I've tested the hand made cables using a data line tester. The

    tester did
    > not indicate any problems. (The instructions for the tester were

    less than
    > clear, but the hand made cable presented the same test results as

    the store
    > bought cable.) The cable has stamped all along the outer insulation

    that it
    > has been CAT5 certified. I sent Surplus Computers an email to verify

    they
    > aren't having trouble with this product.
    >
    > Bottom line is that I can not find anything wrong with the cable

    except that
    > it will not permit data transmission. Although I am by no means a
    > professional, I've installed more than a couple of networks on my

    own, even
    > to the point of creating the CAT5 cables by hand. I've never

    experienced
    > anything like this. Could the cable be "bad" even though all the

    connections
    > pass a dc voltage connection test? Is there way to test the cable to
    > determine if it is not suitable for data transmission? (Without a

    great deal
    > of expensive test equipment.)
    >
    > Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >
    > --
    > from
    > Dave the wave~~~~~

  3. Re: Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work?

    Thanks for you comments.

    I believe I followed the color scheme of a commercially bought cable. (I
    assume that if I kept the color scheme the same on both ends, it really
    wouldn't matter. Is that not true?)

    Your comments say "pair 2 (orange, on pins 3 and 6)...". Do you mean "on
    pins 3 and 4"? I installed the striped wire adjacent to each solid color
    wire of the same color. (bl, bl/w, or, or/w, gr, gr/w, br, br/w).

    --
    from
    Dave the wave~~~~~

    "Airhead" wrote in message
    news:419b47ba$0$792$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com. ..
    > If you have them wired similar as below then I would think it should
    > work
    >

    > Pair 1 is the blue pair, 2 is orange, 3 is green, and four is brown.
    > (standard)
    >
    > Only pair 3 (green, on pins 1 and 2), and pair 2 (orange, on pins 3
    > and 6) are actually used.
    >

    > "Dave the wave" wrote in message
    >
    >> I created 2 CAT5 cables (one is about 200ft and the other 100ft)

    > using cable
    >> from Surplus Computers (www.surpluscomputers.com). I have tried both

    > cables
    >> in a number of various network configurations with no success. I set

    > up a
    >> network using a store bought CAT5 cable which worked as expected. I

    > replaced
    >> the store bought cable with my hand made cable. The green LED's on

    > the cable
    >> modem glowed the same as when the store bought cable was installed;

    > however,
    >> the computer could not access the internet. I reinstalled the store

    > bought
    >> cable and everything worked again.
    >>
    >> I've tested the hand made cables using a data line tester. The

    > tester did
    >> not indicate any problems. (The instructions for the tester were

    > less than
    >> clear, but the hand made cable presented the same test results as

    > the store
    >> bought cable.) The cable has stamped all along the outer insulation

    > that it
    >> has been CAT5 certified. I sent Surplus Computers an email to verify

    > they
    >> aren't having trouble with this product.
    >>
    >> Bottom line is that I can not find anything wrong with the cable

    > except that
    >> it will not permit data transmission. Although I am by no means a
    >> professional, I've installed more than a couple of networks on my

    > own, even
    >> to the point of creating the CAT5 cables by hand. I've never

    > experienced
    >> anything like this. Could the cable be "bad" even though all the

    > connections
    >> pass a dc voltage connection test? Is there way to test the cable to
    >> determine if it is not suitable for data transmission? (Without a

    > great deal
    >> of expensive test equipment.)
    >>
    >> Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly appreciated.
    >>
    >> --
    >> from
    >> Dave the wave~~~~~

  4. Re: Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work?

    3 and 6 is correct...............

    RJ-45 Pin # Color (both sides same)
    Pin 1 White with Orange
    Pin 2 Orange
    Pin 3 White with Green
    Pin 4 Blue
    Pin 5 White with Blue
    Pin 6 Green
    Pin 7 White with Brown
    Pin 8 Brown

> [...]

    verify
    > > they
    > >> aren't having trouble with this product.
    > >>
    > >> Bottom line is that I can not find anything wrong with the cable

    > > except that
    > >> it will not permit data transmission. Although I am by no means a
    > >> professional, I've installed more than a couple of networks on my

    > > own, even
    > >> to the point of creating the CAT5 cables by hand. I've never

    > > experienced
    > >> anything like this. Could the cable be "bad" even though all the

    > > connections
    > >> pass a dc voltage connection test? Is there way to test the cable

    > >> determine if it is not suitable for data transmission? (Without a

    > > great deal
    > >> of expensive test equipment.)
    > >>
    > >> Any comments, suggestions, or advice would be greatly

  5. Re: Cable tests fine. Network doesn't work?

    Thanks much. I don't remember splitting the wires like this before....but it
    was over 2 years ago. Wouldn't be the first thing I've forgotten in that
    time frame.

    Thanks again for your time! Hopefully this will work.

    --
    from
    Dave the wave~~~~~

    news:419c7d32$0$794$2c56edd9@news.cablerocket.com. ..