Need tutorial on setting up Linux Network... - Connectivity

This is a discussion on Need tutorial on setting up Linux Network... - Connectivity ; Hello all: I have an SDSL internet connection with several routable IP addresses. Currently my network is very simple.. Every machine is assigned one routable IP address. I'd like to create a proper network with a DMZ and an Internal ...

  1. Need tutorial on setting up Linux Network...

    Hello all:

    I have an SDSL internet connection with several routable IP addresses.
    Currently my network is very simple.. Every machine is assigned one
    routable IP address.

    I'd like to create a proper network with a DMZ and an Internal LAN segment
    that uses NAT.

    I've been building a Linux box with three NICS...

    1 to be connected to my SDSL router
    1 to be connected to the DMZ
    and the third to be connected to the internal LAN.

    Now, I've read several sources and am quite confused about how to even begin
    setting things up.

    Here is how my router/firewall box is setup.

    eth0 -> Internet
    eth1 -> DMZ
    eth2 -> Internal NATed LAN

    My current IP block looks like this:

    Network IP? 66.80.68.80
    Router IP ( Gateway ) 66.80.68.81
    Routable IP's 66.80.68.82 -> 66.80.68.86
    Broadcast IP 66.80.68.87
    Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248

    Now, how the heck do I setup eth0? I'm not sure even what IP address and
    other network parameters to assign to it.

    I believe I need to connect my SDSL router directly to eth0. But how do I
    configure eth0 so that I can relay all internet traffic from the SDSL
    router to eth1 and allow all traffic from eth0 to get out through eth0?

    I wish to use IP-Chains.

    I assume that once I get eth0 configured properly, I can use IP-Chains and
    NAT to route packets to and from my internal LAN.

    Can anybody give me some concrete information or a place to look that will
    provide more concrete information? So far I've only been able to find
    information on using IP-Chains and IP-Chain rules. I haven't found any
    sources that actually tell me how to configure the NIC's etc...

    Thanks,
    Jim Norton
    jimnorton at jimnorton.org

  2. Re: Need tutorial on setting up Linux Network...

    In my opinion you will want to look in to Squid, a Internet Proxy
    Caching server to push the internet through to your clients. I have a
    network server running RedHat 9.0 with Samba as Primary Domain
    Controller, file server, and print server, with Squid as my "internet"
    pusher, and SquidGuard to set up content filtering.

    I run one box and server 40 clients with this set-up.

    As far as getting eth0 set up I believe you will need to set it up as
    a dynamic IP, unless you have been assigned a static one from your
    ISP.

    Let me know if this works, if not I will check my configuration when i
    get back to work and see how i can help out.

    Ryan

    Jim Norton wrote in message news:...
    > Hello all:
    >
    > I have an SDSL internet connection with several routable IP addresses.
    > Currently my network is very simple.. Every machine is assigned one
    > routable IP address.
    >
    > I'd like to create a proper network with a DMZ and an Internal LAN segment
    > that uses NAT.
    >
    > I've been building a Linux box with three NICS...
    >
    > 1 to be connected to my SDSL router
    > 1 to be connected to the DMZ
    > and the third to be connected to the internal LAN.
    >
    > Now, I've read several sources and am quite confused about how to even begin
    > setting things up.
    >
    > Here is how my router/firewall box is setup.
    >
    > eth0 -> Internet
    > eth1 -> DMZ
    > eth2 -> Internal NATed LAN
    >
    > My current IP block looks like this:
    >
    > Network IP? 66.80.68.80
    > Router IP ( Gateway ) 66.80.68.81
    > Routable IP's 66.80.68.82 -> 66.80.68.86
    > Broadcast IP 66.80.68.87
    > Subnet Mask 255.255.255.248
    >
    > Now, how the heck do I setup eth0? I'm not sure even what IP address and
    > other network parameters to assign to it.
    >
    > I believe I need to connect my SDSL router directly to eth0. But how do I
    > configure eth0 so that I can relay all internet traffic from the SDSL
    > router to eth1 and allow all traffic from eth0 to get out through eth0?
    >
    > I wish to use IP-Chains.
    >
    > I assume that once I get eth0 configured properly, I can use IP-Chains and
    > NAT to route packets to and from my internal LAN.
    >
    > Can anybody give me some concrete information or a place to look that will
    > provide more concrete information? So far I've only been able to find
    > information on using IP-Chains and IP-Chain rules. I haven't found any
    > sources that actually tell me how to configure the NIC's etc...
    >
    > Thanks,
    > Jim Norton
    > jimnorton at jimnorton.org

+ Reply to Thread